Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone removed the trim around the convertible boot area? How do I do it without fugging it up?

I have the interior out and have access to all areas around the trim, but I thought I would ask before I start pulling and tugging on it....

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
On the XR7, there are threaded studs that are part of the trim and extend thru the body with nuts on the inside of the body at the top edge. There also are 2-3 screws (again on the xr7) in the area of the rear window weatherstrip felts that the window slides against (standard cougar, the trim ends before the window, so I'm not sure if there is anything similar there). Once all the nuts and screws are removed, you need to carefully free up the trim which might feel like it's glued down. If it doesn't move, check again for the nut/screw you missed. Each piece slides into the piece next it, so you need to slide them apart and lift at same time. No tools required or advisable. Try not to snap off the studs when doing this. I found that it is easiest to remove the two pieces that go across the back and then the "hockey stick" side pieces (on which the studs are more fragile). Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts