Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an engine mount issue with my 69 Convertible. As I understand, the 351W engine mount in the 69-70 convertible is different from the HT. I had a look through the the WCCC website for their repro mount which says "Your options are to purchase our used 68-70 frame stands (out of stock) or modify your existing ones". Before I start taking things apart, has anyone gone the direction of "modify your existing ones" and if so, what am I looking at?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a pair of frame mounts from a 69 convertible 351W, if that will solve your problem.

$100 for the pair plus shipping.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a pair of frame mounts from a 69 convertible 351W, if that will solve your problem.

$100 for the pair plus shipping.
Thanks for your reply. I ordered a set of standard engine mounts from WCCC and once I get the current mounts out will have to have a long hard look at "modifying the existing ones.

Thanks for your feedback.....I'll try this route first.

Cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have an engine mount issue with my 69 Convertible. As I understand, the 351W engine mount in the 69-70 convertible is different from the HT. I had a look through the the WCCC website for their repro mount which says "Your options are to purchase our used 68-70 frame stands (out of stock) or modify your existing ones". Before I start taking things apart, has anyone gone the direction of "modify your existing ones" and if so, what am I looking at?

Thanks in advance.
you'll likely need to be a pretty good machinist to modify your existing stands. I had a set from a '70 coupe parts car and my originals from the '70 convertible side by side on my bench. I can't see an obvious difference. BUT the coupe stands work effortlessly with the available motor mounts, everything lines up perfectly. The convertible stands do not. On the convertible stands if you get one side mount to align and bolt up, you can only get 1 of the 2 bolts of the motor mount on the opposite side onto the block to line up, with great effort. If you attach the 2 bolts on the mount to the block you cannot line up the holes on the mount to the frame stands.
The Damper Doctor in california once upon a time would revulcanize the 69/70 convertible mounts on an exchange basis (send him your old ones, he'll send you a rebuilt pair). He misplaced one half of his mold and stopped offering the service. I've been trying to convince him off and on for over a year to remake the missing half of his convertible engine mount mold. Covid happened, his help all moved on, etc. It's been a struggle. If more people ask him maybe it will move up in his priority list of "things to do".

·
Registered
3 Posts
All you have to do is drill a hole in the frame mounts. All 67-70 Cougars and Mustangs use the same V8 frame mounts, Just there was two different hole locations used depending on application. Basically it changes the angle of the frame mount. All FE, 67's, and 69/70 Convertibles use the same frame mount hole locations. 68-70 289, 302, 351 hardtops use an alternate hole location and a motor mount that matches up to the revised angle. This is the motor mount that is available. The 67 289 and 69/70 351 Convertibles use a mount that is not reproduced and hard to find.

So all you need to do is use the 68-70 289, 302, 351 hardtop motor mounts and drill a new hole in the frame mounts so the angle is correct. This link explains it all and has pictures that show the different hole locations:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your reply.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, If I were to purchase the coupe engine stands along with the coupe engine mounts that I have on hand........everything should line up?
If I've got that right, what impact, if any, will this change in engine angle have for the convertible?

Again, thanks for your help gents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your reply.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, If I were to purchase the coupe engine stands along with the coupe engine mounts that I have on hand........everything should line up?
If I've got that right, what impact, if any, will this change in engine angle have for the convertible?

Again, thanks for your help gents.
Yes it would all line up. Difference is engine height is about 1/4"-1/2" higher or so I have been told. In reality won't notice anything. .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts