Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got a 69 cougar xr7 I think, it has 4 lights in the middle of the dash. Is this a convenience group package? I'm very new to cougars so I'm not sure. It has the hideaway headlights on it, is this a standard option on 69's? The convertible top will need replacing, but it will be done. It is a M-code car and with a little working it started right up after 19 years of sitting. Will some one please educate me about my car, because I don't know too much about them. thanks

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
First off a 69 XR7 will have 4 switches in that spot. Lets investigate your car some, I fits a hard top your VIN will start with 9F93M5----- or may have a R in place of the F. On the door data tag(if you have one. The first set of codes will be 65B for a XR7 hard top. If the VIN has a 91 and the code is 65A you have a standard Cougar. also a XR7 will have full insterments including a tach. If the just of right center insterment pod(next to the speedo) is a blank or clock it is a standard set. Let us know what you find. Also the M in the sample VIM is for a 351 4V. an H is 351 2V. S is 390 4V Q or R is 428CJ. If by chance you have a G then you found a Boss 302 Eliminator.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Opps I missed the convertable the body numbers in the previes code are wrong. in the vin look for a 93 for XR7 or a 92 for standard. on the door tag look for 76B for the XR7 and a 76A for the standard. sorry about the confusion. neal.

·
Registered
448 Posts
351xr7vert

Hi,
The car sounds great, and welcome to the Cougar Community. Are you in Bucks county PA, if so where? I have a 69 XR7 convertible with 351 W M-code 4 barrel and I am in South Jersey. There is a wealth of couger info on this site and in the Phila/SJ area as well. Let me know if you need any help of have any questions.
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible
http://home.sprynet.com/~pamar/cougar.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts