Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to put a xr7 cluster in my standard dash and rather than replacing the whole wiring harness, i want to splice my standard harness to the XR7 cluster then run new wires for the tach.

I will need schematics for both dashes.....

Does anyone have any idea where I could find such schematics?

Dan

·
Registered
189 Posts
Dan,

I think Don at WCCC sells them. Too bad you don't have a 67, he used to have the 67 to download for free at one time.

Antonio

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
There are a number of gotcha's in trying to do what you are suggesting, the tach one you already know about. The amp gauge works on a shunt wire in the harness, I do not think you are going to be able to duplicate that easily and have it work. You don't have the door ajar wiring or switches. You don't have the seat belt warning wiring or time delay relay. You don't have the low fuel warning wiring. The temp and oil pressure gauges should work, with a correct oil pressure sender. It really is much easier to change the whole harness and plug and play. However, being an ECI, I would never be the one to tell you that you can't do it. But, I will say it is unlikely that you will be successful doing it.

Two other possibilities I would suggest:

1. Do a full-on XR7 changeover.

2. Contact Bob at www.rccinnovations.com and buy yourself a tach in 6 or 8K that will go in your stock standard cluster and is 3-wire so you can connect it to most any electronic ignition. This is the "hot setup" for your situation IMO.

Having said all this, if you are still of a mind to pursue your idea, send me a PM with your email address and I will send you the schematics for both.

Regards,

Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts