Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cougar Techie Guys, I need your help,

I bought this 69 Standard Convertible last year, busted my butt and have it looking pretty good. I am trying to make it look a little like the eliminator, but with my own tweeks. I dont mind body work, I dont mind engine work, I dont mind suspension work, I dont like electrical work.

I purchased a 69 XR7 hardtop for parts to complete my ride. It came with some great stuff on it and save me thousands. I am looking on taking the instrument cluster and clock and put them in my standard dash. Originally, I was hoping to just take the tach out of the XR7 cluster and insert it into my standard cluster. I noticed that the XR7 has real gauges rather than idiot lights that came with the standard cluster. Now I am getting a little intimidated, I dont want to start changing and realize that I have to rewire the whole car. I also dont really want the switches that came in the center control panel of the XR7, if I have to use everything together.

Can someone tell me how much wiring I will need to take from the XR7? Can I keep my idiot lights (I dont care if the owrk?)? I guess I will need to take the oil and temperature sensors form the XR7 and move them as well.

Is it worth it to do all of this?

Any help, guidance or prayers would be appreciated.

I attached a few pictures, at least I thinl I did......I will keep my fingers crossed that the post.

Have a great day alll,

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Dan,

I hate to say it, but the common procedure (and likely the only way) to get the result you seek is to replace the dash harness with one from an XR-7. It is certainly a couple of days worth of work, especially if you have never had a Cougar dash apart. The standard harness typically doesn't have the provisions for the clock, and the XR-7 harness doesn't retain the plugs for the center dash idiot lights. Since you don't care weather or not they work, this is a non-issue, so you can keep the lights.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmm, I hate doing anything halfway, I guess the question that I shoudl; ask is, "If i were building an convertible eliminator clone like Mercury should have, which cluster would it have? Would it have a clock?
I like the idea of adding a tach to the standard cluster, but where would I get one to match? I already had the dash completely apart when I replaced the heater core and rebuilt the heater box......

Thanks about the car.....I was building it for my wife, but she ran away with another guy.....she left and took my F150 Boss. I really miss that truck. So now instead of calling it an Eliminator Clone, I call it the Eliminate-Her.

Any help, as always , would be apopreciated,

Dan

·
Registered
565 Posts
An eliminator would have the xr7 gear.

Check out this link http://www.rccinnovations.com/Tachs.php. About halfway down, Rocketman sells a 8000 rpm tachometer that is an exact match as it is made from the standard cougar clock delete. Shouldn't be too hard to wire independently of the circuit board because that is how the xr7s are.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts