Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<TABLE cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=cIt-cb><INPUT id=chkCpv4-93 value=251136902831 type=checkbox name=coitemv4-69></TD><TD><TABLE class="li nol" itemtype="http://schema.org/Product" itemscope="itemscope"><TBODY><TR itemtype="http://schema.org/Offer" itemscope="itemscope" itemprop="offers"><TD style="WIDTH: 142px" class="pic lt"></TD><TD class=details>Mercury : Cougar XR7 428CJ
<WBR>
1969 428CJ MERCURY COUGAR XR7 SURVIVIOR FACTORY DRAG PR...

Watch this item

</TD><TD class=year>1969

</TD><TD class=mileage>40,000

</TD><TD class="bids bin1">1 Bid</TD><TD class="prices g-b" itemprop="price">$200.00</TD><TD class="time rt">Time left:6d 23h 7m</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Maybe it fell into pieces and it was easier to transport.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Sounds like a super rare and interesting 428 CJ Cougar. They would do well to show some pics of the engine bay and original documents.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I am guessing that pic with the door tag is the original door. At least they kept it when they replaced it with the Green one.

·
Registered
384 Posts
What a SHAME!
I haven't seen this car for 20 years, WTF happened to it! Just sitting in the garage.
It was really sharp. Even three years ago I asked the son about buying it but mom didn't want to sell.
There was one more of these Mercury race Cougar CJ gifts in Cleveland and it was green with gold or parchment interior. It was at a used car lot and the lot was taken for a new freeway in 75, all the cars were crushed on site.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I talked to the owner and his son...indeed an interesting story and race history attached to it....the sad thing is the rust.....they were honest on that...will need new floors, one new torque box and a frame rail....basically all the sheet metal will have to have work in it or be replaced.....both front fenders, doors, quarters, drop rails, etc.....they said the fender rust was already showing up in 1971 !! gotta love what Cleveland winters did to cars !! They do not have the Marti but it's definitely heavily optioned car.....big project but still worth it since it has all the original expensive CJ parts there, distributor, ram air, smog, etc.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well it looks like somebody snagged it...it's been pulled off again....will have to call and see what happened.....

·
Registered
384 Posts
gotta love what Cleveland winters did to cars !! .
The decade of the 70s saw the most salt used in the Cleveland area, constant blizzards from the lake! Plus the Japanese steel from
model year 69 through 74 didn't help either.

·
11,000 Posts
I guess the "Factory Drag Program" used air conditioned cars?????????? Story makes no sense, buyer beware. The car came equipped with a 3.50 open rear axle, PS, Auto and Air. Not a drag vehicle, too rusty to fix, and overpriced for parts.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I guess the "Factory Drag Program" used air conditioned cars?????????? Story makes no sense, buyer beware. The car came equipped with a 3.50 open rear axle, PS, Auto and Air. Not a drag vehicle, too rusty to fix, and overpriced for parts.
Thanks for noting that Royce. I thought the same as well. If this car was a factory drag program car, it would be stripped standard hardtop with drag pack option, which was designed for drag racing. The extra weight of a heavily optioned XR7 makes little sense for getting down the quarter mile.

My 69 is such a car. PB to stop at the end of the 1/4 mile and AM radio. No other options but with far pack and 4.30 locking rear. In 69, this was the drag setup.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Thanks for noting that Royce. I thought the same as well. If this car was a factory drag program car, it would be stripped standard hardtop with drag pack option, which was designed for drag racing. The extra weight of a heavily optioned XR7 makes little sense for getting down the quarter mile.

My 69 is such a car. PB to stop at the end of the 1/4 mile and AM radio. No other options but with far pack and 4.30 locking rear. In 69, this was the drag setup.
I have the body of a 69 Cougar drag pack car with 4.30 gears that was a promotional vehicle and I have thought that it may have been a drag program car but have no proof. It has a 7634 DSO # and 84232K dealer #.

It does have several options though including an AM/8-Track. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to put options on it for drag racing but who knows.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I think this story has gone wrong somewhere. When I first talked to the family about this car it was strictly a show off car; Cougar for '69, hang around at the strip (I saw it once at Dragway 42), a gift to Eddie from Mercury. I don't think it was ever spoken of as a Factory Drag Car, it doesn't fit the bill.

·
11,000 Posts
If the car is too rusty to fix how much is the story worth?

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
What's with the little shield emblem / graphic on the leading edge of the front fenders? You can only see half of them because of the rust holes.

I think this was more in line with the display cars that the dealers would take down to the track, like the fully loaded yellow one that Don sold last year.

Take out the interesting history and what is a crusty but complete, fully loaded CJ car worth? Certainly the $10k it got up to before the seller ended the listing, eh?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I think this story has gone wrong somewhere. When I first talked to the family about this car it was strictly a show off car; Cougar for '69, hang around at the strip (I saw it once at Dragway 42), a gift to Eddie from Mercury. I don't think it was ever spoken of as a Factory Drag Car, it doesn't fit the bill.
No matter what, it was at one time a super cool car once owned by Eddie. And drag pack or not, Mercury official race car or not, it does seem to have it's own special story of some kind.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts