Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just learned the hard way.... DO NOT make the Proportioning valve cherry red with a torch to get the piston un-stuck. It tends to incenerate the little rubber check ball and nylon cap associated with the check ball. Poof! Gone! :bloated:

At least the piston came out easy after getting it hot. Too bad I can't get those two important pieces anywhere and the proportioning valve is now useless junk.

Oh well, live and learn I guess. I will now have to use the adjustable Proportioning valve that I bought for when I convert the rear to disc brakes in the future.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I tried rebuilding the proportioning valve with a rebuild kit from WCCC, followed the instructions, but it leaked badly out of the weep hole. Installed an adjustable SSBC valve, and it works great with no leaks!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Sorry to be the naysayer again, but that doesn't include the melted parts either, they are not available to my knowledge.

HOWEVER (jumping up and down with excitement), THIS picture from these instructions might have just solved my brake problem!!!!

I have a funny feeling I put the spring on the wrong side of the piston! Wonder if Mike did as well. If my hunch is right, this explains my problem as the rear brakes are getting too much of the pressure intended to be utilized on the fronts. Sure hope I am right that I assembled it wrong! Will check tonight.

Thanks Carlton!

Regards,

Bob

Edit: The more I think about it, I'm thinking I did not assemble it incorrectly, but it sure is worth a look!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts