Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PO gave me some good metal for a rotted area above the trunk and below the rear window.

I have heard that bondo does not adhere as well as some other products to welded surfaces, is this true? Any thoughts? How am I doing? LOL- thx- J

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
J,

Looks to me liek you are doing a FINE job! As for plastic adhering, no problem there, just grind well to rough up the surface where you want to apply it.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
If you are welding in new metal, plastic should be fine and no need for fiberglass.

·
Registered
367 Posts
That sure looks like some BAD rot! Going to that degree of repair, I would recommend something like z-grip filler over BONDO...costs a little more but from what I hear a superior core product.

Keep up the hard work!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I will check that out, thanks!

Here are a few pics of the new accessory panel I designed. It is going in the place of the 4 button panel that was above the radio and heat vent in the center of the dash.

I used a flat piece of sheet metal, drilled appropriate holes and mounted 4 12v switches that are going to operate some fog lights, rear defroster, electric headlights, etc.

The whole interior is getting the "cockpit feel" with carbon fiber panels, switches, led dim glow under lighting, etc., looks great so far. The interior colors are black/metallic grey.

Also is a pic of the rear interior, I pulled it out and scrapped off the old crumbling rubber caulking and laid down new rubber undercoating along all the seams and such.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the interior is gun metal grey and black, some carbon fiber panels, and a small touch of diamond plating, it is looking good so far! I went for the cockpit feel,,,,more soon, I know it is a bit off from a traditional interior that you will see, but that is the idea anyway. I am welding on the rear panel in the pic this week, thanks for the comments! J

·
Registered
389 Posts
looks a little honda civic ricer meats muscle car for me but as long as its what u like, thats all that matters. well, that and make it reversible so when u sell it someone can rescue the kitty haha

·
Registered
442 Posts
jman, If you can fix that lower window channel to look factory, you've already saved that cat. If you can, I know of a 63 Tbird that you can save with The same cancer. Sal Cougar GEEK.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
looks a little honda civic ricer meats muscle car for me but as long as its what u like, thats all that matters. well, that and make it reversible so when u sell it someone can rescue the kitty haha
No way... that is gonna look "Mad Max" meets Mercury Cougar! LOL!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been practicing my Mel Gibson line from that movie,,,,,,,"I'm just here for the gazoline",,,,

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
here are some more, cleaned up the new metal today and started to trace out cut lines for the match up.

Did a bit of welding and grinding, I am going to cover all of the welded areas with bondo short hair glass.

Fun Fun! :bloated:

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the rear piece is in! I rough fitted the rear window once the metal was tacked into place to make sure I was all good.

Once it was tested, I needed to come up with a good solution for the holes left in the metal from the vinyl trim molding.
I welded washers on the back side of the metal, then flipped it over, did fill-it welds and then ground down to be slightly less than flush so when I apply filler, it can be sanded down dead nuts.

I also showed how I did fill-it welds on the inside of the window, clamped down with vise grips every 3", then welded down.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The vertical welds above the trunk area? They were filled in with more weld, ground as flusch as possible so there were no high spots, then I did the fiberglass-hair, then plastic bondo, then glaze putty, then sand/prime. Smooth as a baby bottom now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts