Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sort of new to the cougar scene. I had a 68 XR7 several years back until it was totaled by a person with a stolen car. Recently I picked up 2 more Cougars, both 69's in which one is a XR7. My plans were to use the plain one for parts to restore the XR7.

Well, I just came across a 70 XR7 convertible that is in need of some work such as minor body, paint, interior and a new canvas top. It seems to be loaded with options including A/C and Am/Fm radio. It is mechanically sound and I was able to pick it up for $1500 which I think is a pretty good deal here in California.

Just curious if most everything is interchangable between 69 and 70 cougars?

Next question, How many of these 70 cougars like mine were made? Trying to figure the best way to bring it back to life, either by restoring it or possibly maybe doing a Restomod.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
There were quite a few changes. The most obvious are the new grill, hood and 'fang,' front bumper and fender extensions. The side marker lights are recessed for 1970, but the sheet metal is otherwise interchangeable.....corrrect me if I'm wrong anybody.

The interior changed quite a bit. While the dashboard, gauges and console are the same, the console insert is different, the steering is interlocking in 1970, all front seats are high back buckets and the front and rear upholstery is different. The door panels are also different.

1997 1970 XR-7 Cougar convertibles were made (per Kevin Marti).

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
All of the 69 interior will phyiscally fit in the 70, even though it isnt year correct, doesnt really matter. The 69 fender lights are smaller than the 70's, and down lower, but a saw will fix that, the whole 69 front end (hood, fender extensions, bumper, grille, etc.) is different, the taillight frames are different, 69 has single ribs all along, 70 has dual ribs, but the housing and plastic are the same. Rear 1/4 extensions are the same, as well as back bumper. Doors are the same, but the 1/4 window weather stripping is different, the 70 had bolt in door window where the 69 had glue in ( major P.I.T.A.) Convert chrome is a different story. Trunk is same, gas tank is 20 gallon for 69, 22 for 70. spindles are smaller in 69 than 70, 70 being better, but same suspension. front widow and chrome is the same,
Just my opinion, the 70 is far better than a 69, I'm going to get slapped for this because alot of 69 owners on here. The 70 had a nastier look than a 69, better options, nicer seats, brakes, and the grille is hands down cooler than a 69. Thats just my opinion cuz I own a 70, guess I'm bias, sorry if I offend any one here, it wasnt my intention. 70 ROCKS,lol.
If I'm wrong on some of these, please let me know, I've been known to be wrong at least once a day.:D

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
If you resto mode it, please dont do it like a guy did here. He has a White 70 Convert with emerald green fussy interior (all seats, door panels, etc.) and he likes it, yuk big time. I will try and get a pic of it but he is kinda cranky, worse than me. Go figure.

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I thought I messed up the differences, ok. 70 RULES,lol.
I like the 69 too, but 70 ROCKS.

hahahahaha

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
70s looking better?? hmmm i dunno about that. things i dont like about the 70--- its the end of the good looking cats. sure its nice looking, but it also looks too damn big. The center decapitator part of the hood grill thing reminds me of the 71-73s too much, and those didnt only look too big, they just were. Ummm, what else, i dont care for the interiors at all. to be honest i dont even like the XR7 interiors on the 69s. i dont like high back buckets. errr, what else.... hmmm, not much else to say. dont get me wrong, they are nice cars..... its just my opinoin that there are nicer Cougars out there..... and they all seem to be made 1 year earlier :D

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Is anybody going to back me up on this or what. The 69 and 70 are the same car, but the 70 grille is different, more aggressive looking. Let's get it on. lol.

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Paul, looks like your car ran into a wall and crunched the grille, lol. j/k. I do like the 69, dont get me wrong. But I like my 70 better, nah nah.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Side by side comparison

Hummm.

mm's 69 and a COOL 70, I did this comparo awhile ago for a friend, hope you dont mind I used your car in this Mark.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Here's a pic of a 1970 I almost bought! Is the current owner on this board? Nice car whoever got it.

I looked at a lot of both years before I bought my 1969 Cougar. I started looking in 1986! I ending up getting a 64 Falcon Sprint convertible back then (then a T-Bird conv and then a Mark III).........but I digress LOL.

1969 PRO
cleaner grill design
cleaner tail light design
hood pins on 428CJ (I think they look cool, plus I put locks in them if I ever leave the car unattended....seldom LOL)
428CJ hood decal (70s don't say a word or # with a 428CJ, stealthy perhaps, but too plain!)
console seat belt holders
390 available

1970 PRO
More Cougarish grill ( some think the 69 is too flat, not split by body color insert)
High back seats (more comfortable)
suspension upgrades
steering wheel interlock (safety feature)
351 Cleveland available

1969 CON
low back seats are uncomfortable, some say
(I use a lumbar pillow for a long trip)
No rear sway bar
Too easy to hot wire ignition

1970 CON
OUCH BOOM BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!"This car is trying to kill me!"
The snaggle tooth is dangerous, and you get 'drain bamage'
fussy taillight detail

:argue:

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
No Rick I dont mind. Its just that by doing that you just reafirmed how wrong you are!!!! All kidding aside the 70's are fine by me. They do have nicer interiors thats why mine has the 70 XR7 seats and door panels, I dont care for the burled wood though. 69's have the better grill although I like the 70 marker lights better. Also let me clear up a couple things you said, the quarter window seals are different because the glass is also different. Also the the spindles should interchange as long as you use the same year outer tie rods and rotors. I think the lower ball joint is the same, but if not thats easily changed also. :jump3: mm

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 69 has 70 glass all around ! It seems to me the 70's weather stripping setup for the door and quarter glass is better!

·
Registered
103 Posts
This is funny. Everything I don't like about the 70 compared to the 69 is what you like about your 70.
Grille on a 70 looks too much like the 70's boat it became after the decline of the muscle car.
Double bars on the tail-lights.
The crooked bumper.
Its just a knock off of a 69.

But to each his own. Still rather drive a 70 then an import.

:D

·
Registered
698 Posts
Guess which one I like. Go to a show and what do you find. more copy cat 1970 Eliminators than anything. Even convertibles. I am always pleased to see so many people trying to copy a great car.
Even I like to copy them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts