Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that a 69/70 trunk lid will fit on a 67. I need a trunk lid and found a 69 in much better shape than I'm finding 67/68 lids at a better price.

Does anyone have pics or has anyone used a 69/70 lid on their car? My car isn't anywhere close to it's original state so I don't mind doing what is the best budget-friendly alternative as long as it looks nice.

Thanks guys
-Jeramy

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Dimensionally the lids are the same between all 4 years. The difference is in the understructure (which doesn't matter for what you're doing) and in the trunk lock area. 69 & 70 have just the hole for the round key portion of the lock. 67 & 68 have the holes for the larger chrome surround. Easier to drill a 69-70 than to patch the extra holes in a 67-68.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. That's what I thought the difference was, but I hadn't seen it said straight like that yet.

Thanks Jeff!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Don't have the original any more, but I used to have a pic of it on a geocities website before it shut down. I actually had a '69 once that had a '67/8 lid on it. Worked perfectly... The only thing strange looking about it was the green lid on a red car....a SS by the way that, at the time, I had no clue. 351 2v, 3 spd. Man was it a fun one to drive...........
Thanks
Chuck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts