Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find any rear quarter lower patch panels for a 69/70. Does anybody out there know if anybody makes them?? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also need a few as well.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
JCC had a small amount at one point but have not heard of them since. The repro 1/4's have become available again but have not heard how good they are. The original repros from Tabco were more of a "suggestion" of what a quarter is supposed to be than a good replacement. Ask me how I know, I spent a LOT of time piecing Tabco panels into my car and it was a LOT of work to make it all work and fit properly. More in fact than most people would be willing or capable of doing.

In short 69/70 quarters are tough because of what is (and is not) available.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I ended up making my own. A sheet metal brake would have been easier, but my vise worked just fine.
Use a flat piece of sheetmetal to bend into the correct lower contours. I used paper taped in place to pencil in the bend areas to transfer the bend lines to the metal. Don't worry about the curve required too much. tack the lower part in place first, then slowly curve and tack the piece in from bottom to top. It worked out great for me. See attached pics.
iphone pics 2-15-2010 394.jpg iphone pics 2-15-2010 398.jpg iphone pics 2-15-2010 395.jpg iphone pics 2-15-2010 416.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Nicely done Daryl! You do have to then put the wheel well lip on, or was yours good enough to re-use?

In my case the 1/4's were much worse and beyond "patching".

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Nicely done Daryl! You do have to then put the wheel well lip on, or was yours good enough to re-use?

In my case the 1/4's were much worse and beyond "patching".
If I remember correctly, I had enough metal left on the patch panel to bend over into a wheel well lip. I then trimmed the edges down to match the original edge length.
To bend the lip metal over crisply, I used a pair of "Duckbill" vise grips like a sheet metal brake.
I was actually quite proud of my "no fear" work. :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Bob, should I stay away from tabco ? The only repro quarters that I have found have been on ebay and have not researched them because I am not ready for them yet. Where else should I look? Sal

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Sal, JCC lists them under Cougar sheet metal. I'm not sure what company makes them for him, it says Made in the USA. www.johnsclassiccougars.com . John

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Sal, JCC lists them under Cougar sheet metal. I'm not sure what company makes them for him, it says Made in the USA. www.johnsclassiccougars.com . John
John,

The only thing John lists is "full" (Tabco type) quarters and trunk drop-off's. If you are seeing quarter patch panels, please post a link as I can't find them (after looking twice, once after reading the thread the first time and just now again after reading your post).

Regards,

Bob

Sal,

Other than original sheet metal cut from a donor, Tabco is the only game in town. If you go this way, be prepared for a lot of trimming to make the inner edge of the wheel wells the right width, same for the taillight panel edge, Jamb area too if you use it, (I avoided this area like the plague), the valence attach area is all wrong, the edge bends are wider radius and the metal has less temper to it (softer, more easily dented, I imagine this metal makes them easier to form). My approach after observing all this was to use as little of the new panel as possible (as opposed to trying to graft the whole thing in), re-use on one side and fab on the other the valence attach area, build the quarter extension edges out to match factory radiuses and the like. It can be done (and well) but it is a lot of work. Caveat: The new panels out there are a new production run, not sure if any of my observations have been corrected, have yet to see one in person, mine were from an older production run. Donor metal is going to be expensive and expensive to ship unless you can find it locally (and live in an area that would have cars with good metal).

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
John,

The only thing John list is "full" (Tabco type) quarters and trunk drop-off's. If you are seeing quarter patch panels, please post a link as I can't find them (after looking twice, once after reading the thread the first time and just now again after reading your post).

Regards,

Bob
My bad Bob, that's what I meant, that JCC had "full" quarters instead of the patch panels. Just thought that Sal was looking for another place for full quarters (didn't know they were Tabco type) after reading his thread. Regards, John

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hey, i'm pretty sure JCC did offer patch panels for the front and rear of the quarter but at a limited run. If I remember correctly they were cut from new quarters that were damaged! I was interested but by the time I had the cash they were sold out. The rear sections were in the 125 - 150.00 range!--I think??

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Hey, i'm pretty sure JCC did offer patch panels for the front and rear of the quarter but at a limited run. If I remember correctly they were cut from new quarters that were damaged! I was interested but by the time I had the cash they were sold out. The rear sections were in the 125 - 150.00 range!--I think??
Correct .

·
Registered
442 Posts
Bob, thanks for the advise, My convertible should have complete quarters on both sides, inside and outside wheel wells on both sides and trunk panels. Thats what I wanted to do. I will rethink my options. Sal

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Bob, thanks for the advise, My convertible should have complete quarters on both sides, inside and outside wheel wells on both sides and trunk panels. Thats what I wanted to do. I will rethink my options. Sal
Sal,

I patched my outer wheelhouses (inners were good) with donor metal from my parts car. Unless they are really, really bad (like a lot more than just the lower extremities which is what I consider "normal"), patching them is probably your best bet.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
205 Posts
i bought the ones from john, drove to carlisle to pick up for my 70 convert, i used the full quarter on drivers side but bought two patches just in case, one drivers side other passenger side which i used.

i have a drivers side quarter patch for my 70 that i didn't use. been meaning to list it somewhere along with inner wheel wells for both sides. if interested contact me and i'll sell it at cost. think it was 120.00

jene

1 - 15 of 15 Posts