Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides the side markers, is there any other differences on the fenders and ¼ panels between a 69/70, and any reason why I couldn't use 69 body panels on a 70? Can the marker light area be corrected for the 70 markers?

I'm sure my best bet would be to order some repro ¼ panels. Has anybody had any experience with repros, is the quality there?

Can the floor panels of a 69 coupe be used for replacement in a 70 convertible?

Sorry for all of the questions. the 70 XR7 vert I bought, has more rust than had hoped. I have a complete 69 rustfree hartop with excellent panels, fenders and floors, and was hoping I could use most of it to keep cost down.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Yes they are basically the same and would make a good swap. The repros you can buy are tough to fit but it is "new" metal. You are probably looking at more work to replace them with used panels from a parts car. If you are looking to save money the replacement panels you can buy are not really expensive and would save you the labor of removing the metal from your other car. Just my 2 cents.:)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I think it would be better to sell the 69 and buy new metal. Thst way someone else can restore the 69, especially if it has nice floors and quarters. I would love to have a rust free car to restore if the price was right and I'm sure there are plenty of people that feel the same.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
rust free??? if you guys take all of the California Cougars... then what will i have??? im a 20 year old punk kid, i cant compete with your almighty pocket books LOL

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've actually got two "rust free" 69 cougars, one is a XR7 which I was NOT going to cut up or part out. Eventually I will restore it. The other is a plain jane cougar that I was going to part out to help finance the 69 XR7 project. and then sell the shell to someone who could use a rust free shell. But now that I have this 70 XR7 convertible that needs sheet metal, I was considering using the 69 PJ for my metal source.

But if I could sell the 69 shell once I finish parting it out, for what it would cost me to buy new sheet metal for the 70, then yes, I would rather go this route myself. Still trying to find a good source for quality metal.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Whizco....
Where in central CA are you??? What is the real shape of the 69 PJ?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in Fresno, At the present time the 69 PJ is in complete non running condition. The body is pretty straight. And the car would probably run with a some effort, but It has set for several years until I bought it last year, but almost certain it would need to be rebuilt. I haven't started parting it yet, and it will probably be a while before I do so since I have a couple of other restoration projects ahead of the cougars.

And before the question is asked, I'm not really interested in selling the complete car. As I stated, I will be parting it to help finance my other projects. I'm not rich either and need to be creative with home finances to help support my addiction....I mean hobby!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Yeah I here ya....

I'm in Lemoore

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts