Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I will be replacing the rusted out doors on my 70 with the rust free pair from my 69 parts car. I've seen a lot of talk here about the window tracks? or felt strips being glued on instead of screwed like the 70's? can't remember what it was, but something about the 70's being better. Can I pull this stuff off of my 70's doors and use it on the 69 doors I will be using? My 70 cougar is 4 hours away right now, and I won't be able to pick it up until mid April, so comparing the two side by side is not possible right now.

Also, The 69 has power windows and the 70 does not. I want to go ahead and add this option to my 70, so besides the doors, what else do I need to pull off of the 69 to complete this on the 70, and how much work am I looking at?

Thanks,

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
window interchange

I'm sure some of the other guys on the boards here that 'specialize' in 69/70 can give you the exact answer, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

From what I have heard, the 69 and early 70 windows were glued in, whereas the late 70s were bolted in. That means that not only are the windows different, but the window mechanism (called the regulator) is different as well between the two types. Now, since you're throwing in the added complication of the power windows, sure, you can convert yours to power, but you'll have to take the entire wiring harness from the power window car to replace the non-power window harness. There is a high-amperage feed coming all the way from the voltage regulator/starter solonoid through the firewall and back into the passenger compartment, including into both doors. Not exactly an easy job.

Also, the windows themselves might be different between the power and non-power window cars. I know for certain that they're different in my 71-73s.

If I were you, I'd take the guts out of your 70 doors if it does indeed have the bolt-in windows. All of that stuff will bolt right into the doors themselves. You can probably sell the power window set up from the 69 to help finance your restoration. Just make sure you get the entire set-up from the 69, from the regulators, the windows, wiring harness, switches, switch bezels....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure its not going to be easy, and probably not likely that I'll take the complete harness out of the parts car either, since the parts car doesn't have A/c, and the 70 does, I would still have to contend with that problem then. Plus I would be pulling a fully functional harness out of a working car, and replacing with a harness from a parts car that has set for several years and is untested. More problems!

The door glass, window motors, regulators for the 69/70 Cougar & Mustang hardtop & convertible are interchangeable, with the exception of the mustang sportsroof, at least that's what my book shows. and the only difference is as you mentioned, (69 bonded, 70 bolted). The window motors are also interchangeable through 72.

I see a lot of aftermarket window kits, and I would think they don't require a complete harness exchange. I'm not looking for a concourse or factory correct install, but I don't want to worry about frying something, so I was hoping and wanting to make sure I got any and all relays, switches, etc. for the conversion.

Wouldn't it be possible to add/build the necessary power window harness to the main? or at least to run along side the main? Or is my lack of knowledge in this area causing me to miss something?

I would like to know what's all involved in the change over, before I make a decision to do it or not. Has someone else done this and/or is there any tech articles on the web showing the aspects of this?

I appreciate any and all input, and as you stated, I may decide it's not worth it!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
There is more difference than just the bolt in and glue in windows between 69 & 70. The 70 door glass is longer than the 69 as the quarter window weather strip is mounted on a shorter quarter glass. The difference between power and manual I wouldnt have a clue on. Personally I think switching to power would be more trouble than its worth. 30 year old power window parts don't sound very reliable to me. I'll just roll mine by hand thank you. If you decide just to use your manual set up just use your 70 glass and regulators and it will be just a bolt in. The round vertical supports are the same and do not have to be swapped,(if the power setup uses the same as manual) but will probably have to be readjusted. The window felts are the same between 69 and 70 as far as I can remember. mm

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Just remember that the 69 and 70 doors shells themselves are identical. It's just the guts you have to worry about. Definitely use the 70 windows since they are bolt in, not glue. If you are a member of TCCN there is a good article about the swap.
http://www.theclassiccougarnetwork.com
Just my 2 cents.:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good article on what, the door swap? or the power window swap?

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
If I remember it was tech article about swaping the 69 windows with 70 bolt-in windows but it has been a while. Part of the Tech mini projects section. I am pretty sure you can still use all the other parts from the 69 and use the existing power windows.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I haven't joined yet.... Haven't really seen a reason to pay out another subcription fee for something I may not use, or for stuff that I can get from books for free, or by pulling one of the many ford books or manuals I have out in the shop, or by posting a question on one of the ford/mercury forums I frequent. Not knocking it, just haven't been completely sold on it yet.

Steve emailed me and gave me a detailed description of the site, and it sounds great, but so far I have been able to get everything I've needed to know by searching the web for free. Maybe once I dig into the Cougar heavier, I might change my mind.

Now if it had a tech article on how to install factory power windows from start to finish on the 69/70, That alone would be worth the fee to me! :)

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Best site on the internet for Cougar information. You cannot find the information on this site in any shop manual or publication. The info is Cougar specific and will help you out tremendously. Just my opinion. It was the best $12.00 I have ever spent on the internet.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
My wife's 70 Mach 1 (same production line as a Cougar) has glued-in windows. Hers is a very early 70, built in Sept 69. I'm not sure when the production change was made, so there are no quick and easy rules. To say that all 70s had bolt-in windows is just plain wrong. Don't assume anything!

OK, like I said before, the door glass itself (on a 71-3) is different between standard and power windows. The glass has a semi-circular cutout along the bottom edge so the glass clears the window motor in the full-down position. Using standard glass would cause the window to hit the motor and the window wouldn't go down all the way. I know this for a fact on the 71-73s, but I'm not certain about the earlier cars. Dammit! I'm gonna have to take some pics, now aren't I? :1poke:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just changed my 69 doors and power windows to 70 doors and manual windows. The power widows worked, most of the time, but someone swapped the wiring around on the main switch causing things like when I pressed the drivers window switch in the up position, the drivers window went up. When we pressed the same switch in the down position, the rear passenger window went down. That wouldn't be hard to fix, but the rust in the corners and the glue coming off made me want to go to 70 doors. They are right about the doors, windows, and quarter windows. They all go together. The 69 quarter windows are about 1" wider than 70 quarter windows. Everything else is the same. I just had a problem with the windows aligning. While you're at it, put new hinge pins in the door, takes about 30 minutes per door. You will also need new door panels to accept the power window switches.
I was able to remove everything for my power windows except for one wiring connector, and it killed me to cut the wire. But after an hour and no way to get it out, I had to do it. I might be able to get the conector out from the other side and someone can then splice them. I will probably sell these things, as well as the four windows and door panels, as soon as I get time to clean them up. If anyone is interested, email me separately. I will be on a trip until Friday, but will get back to you as soon as I can.

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
I suggest that for $12 you can't afford not to become a member. The articles tech articles alone are worth hundreds more than what you will pay in membership fees.

The article in particular that deals with the power window conversion is exactly what you are looking for in that it deals with a non-concourse conversion from start to finish.

The link to the particular page is: http://www.theclassiccougarnetwork.com/tccn/frame.html

There are many additional articles on installing aftermarket power locks, power trunk, power antenae, etc, etc, etc. It's the absolute best $12 I have ever spent.....it's like 4 beers and I'll bet you spend more than that just sitting looking at your car dreaming about what you would like to do with it...I know I do.:D

There is my plug for the day....good luck, whatever you decide.

Dale

1 - 13 of 13 Posts