Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know why the shifter seal (the black rubber seal for the floor shifter bezel) melts? I just replaced it again and had to clean out the goo from the old one that melted.

Is this problem unique to the repros?

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question but i too have gone though 2 of them. Not sure why but that bezel gets pretty hot on my car.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Pretty much all the cars that get driven, have that problem ( that I have seen)....The trans gets hot, and radiates up into the cabin...

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I recently bought a large cache of NOS weatherstripping. Everything fared pretty well except for the 69-73 shifter seals, they were unrecognizable in their packages! Same thing on all our used bezels, just a blob of goo...

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I had that problem with my first replacement. The one currently in my Cat has held up well, although it has some cracks now.

Paint thinner (mineral spirits) will clean up the goo.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
HUH? Wonder if a newer car replacement is made of better rubber? I'd try putting some kind of spacer under it to be an anti-heat pad > Cardboard maybe?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
My educated guess would be vapors of petroleum nature combined with heat and time/age.....and the rubber breaks down......they are frustrating bits!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts