Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know the design set points for Cut-Out and Cut-In temperatures for the A/C thermostat (icing switch) for a 70 Cougar?

In checking the A/C system components I found the switch not functioning (not opening in an ice bath). Working with the adjustments I was able to restore functionality. I've guessed at a 40F cut-out and 50F cut-in.

Since the switch function is to prevent significant icing of the evaporator, and the thermostat probe is predominately in the air stream seeing warmer temperatures than the coil surface 40F seemed reasonable for the cut-out. The cut-in should be enough higher to allow reasonable cycle times but not loose too much cooling, that's where the 50F guess came from.
The Ford shop manual calls for testing the cut-out using salt with an ice bath at 25F. I presume that is for quick response to the test (if the air stream gets to 25F the coil will be a block of ice).
I'm sure the actual switch set points are a bit different and would prefer to re-install the switch with the proper set points.
Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Wondering (but have not looked) what the shop manual has to say about this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That's the switch but in all that text and formatting stuff in the first link I never found set points.
If it's there I couldn't find it

There are switches available but I've got a working original that I'd prefer to use, besides it's cheaper to reuse it.

The shop manual outlines the test procedure but does not give any calibration info.

Thanks, but I'm still looking for the calibration information

·
Registered
259 Posts
What makes you think your working original is not set correctly ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It wasn't working until I adjusted it. The cut-in adjustment was cranked way down. Presumably it was improperly adjusted before I got it, it won't be the only strange issue I've found on the car. Now I've re-set it to values I picked as somewhat educated guesses. I'm wondering if the 10F band is enough to keep it from cycling too much. Maybe 40F and 55F would be better. Knowing and going with the factory settings would be best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts