Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.

I am a long time lurker who rarely posts, and I could use some assistance with this.

My question is, are the 68-69 Torino and Cyclone 428 ram air assemblies the same unit used on the 69-70 428 Cougar?

My research indicates that Ford never sold the individual components, only the assemblies under part number C9OZ-9600-G.

Specifically, are the flapper tops the same part?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike H.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Mostly the same.
There are also differences between 1969-70 ram air cleaner assemblies on Cougars. The key difference being 1969 used a metal elbow for the hose to the oil cap, and the 1970 used a plastic elbow.
1968-69 Torino ram air seals are taller that the version found on 1969-70 Cougars.
The ram air seal used on the 1969-70 Cougars is the same as a 1968 Mustang. 1969 Cougar ram air is nearly the same as 1968 Cougar/Mustang R code assemblies.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CougarCJ, thanks for the reply.

The reason I am asking the question, specifically about the flaper or midplate, is that I have a buddy looking for one to go on his 70 428 CJ 4 speed Eliminator.

I have one, and I believe it to be from a 70 Cyclone.

I also believe that for the most part, they are the same item with the exception of the location tab in the front, which I think was added for 70-71 Cyclone applications, but I an not completely sure, and do not want to give this guy wrong information.

I did manage to get the last revision (1975) of the Ford / Mercury parts catalog and it does show the Torino prefix C9OZ for all 428 Ram Air applications across the Torino, Montego, and Cougar platform for 68 & 69.

The Ford doc's are a bit difficult to understand if you are not a Ford parts guy, so I am still a bit confused, but I can scan and post this info if it would be of use to the group.

Thanks, Mike H.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Some of the componentry is located here.

·
11,000 Posts
The 1975 Master Parts Catalog final revision is not a good source of information. It lists what replacement parts were available that would fit and work. It does not tell you what was used originally. A great example is your post saying it lists the C9OZ part for 1968.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for the replies guys.

I do appreciate it very much.

I will check my unit against the information in the link on the 428 page to get a better idea
of what I have. That is a great link.

Mike H.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The seal on a 70 Cyclone has the front 1/3 of the hood seal cut away so is not the same.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The seal on a 70 Cyclone has the front 1/3 of the hood seal cut away so is not the same.
Also, the '70 Cyclone is a 429 not a 428.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts