Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime back I read a thread I beleive stating that gaskets were not to be used. I thumbed through the set of Ford manuals from 1969 and did not find if that's true or not. Can anyone verify this one way or the other? If gaskets are used what kind of problems would there be? I've had the heads and manifolds tested and decked. I have a problem once it warms up it runs terrible. Spark knocking,hesitating. Before it warms up though it runs great for about 5 minutes. I've adjusted timing,replaced points/condensor,adjusted the carb. Everythings been rebuilt, the carb was done through Pony Carbs, older rebuilt distributer,very minimal mileage since all this work has been complete. Could the gaskets possibly cause these symptoms. From memory, I believe that the openings in the gaskets may have been somewhat smaller than the openings in the heads and manifolds. That being the case, causing bad exhaust flow......I'm at my wits end on this one......

·
Registered
913 Posts
None of the FE engines used gaskets, the surface of the head and exhaust was machined. The use of a gasket, which a lot of people use, should not be your problem. I would look for vacuum leak, or maybe bad vac, advance.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
Sounds like a carb issue to me. I've had problems with Pony carbs in the past. First I assume the choke is opening as it warms up. If so it sounds like it is leaning out too much. When it's cold you are running a rich mixture (choke closed) then as it warms up the mixture leans out. Could be a plugged passage in the carb. First check all vacuum fittings, hoses and base plate gaskets for vacuum leaks before sending it back to Pony. If you have a shop close to you I would suggest putting it on an exhaust analyzer to see what is coming out the back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts