Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried everything I know from timing, points,plugs and carb adjustments and once the car gets up to running temperature it spark knocks on acceleration. I cannot get rid of it. I've tried all grades of fuel from low grade to even adding Cam 2. I'm also hearing what appears to be a back fire through the exhaust as well. I checked the vacuum adavnce with a gauge and it appeared to work fine,held vacuum. I re torqued all the manifold bolts. I'm very frustrated at this point. Could there be a bad vacuum hose or maybe the vacuum tree fitting on the thermostat housing is bad. How do I test that?....Could a bent rod cause this...help....

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
You might be running to lean or have a large vacume leak or both. I had a FE with a bent rod and it resulted in a high rpm(Above 5000rpm) miss.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
We really need to have a bunch more information to be able to help. We need to know as much as possible about the car: carb, ignition, modifications, transmission, rear axle ratio, etc. Where are you at? sea level, 5000'? When did it start? The details make all the difference.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I had this same issue before, only it was on a BSA lightning. Mine was from excess carbon build up on the pistons. I ran some good fuel cleaner through it and it went away. Dont get the cheap stuff though, its no good. The slick 50 is pretty good stuff, but around 10 bucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts