Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out dates codes on them, I was told mine reads 0K20, so that should be manufactured in October '70? it seems if my car was built in November '69 the block would have to read something like 9K20, sounds almost excatly one year out? I am so confused, I guess what I need to know is did they make them in '69 & if so then it should read 9K20? wonder if they misread it or it looks like 0 but is actually 9?I am no expert at diciphring so if someone is please help.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
1970 model Cougars were built starting the end of August 1969. Casting numbers would have July/August dates 1969 casting dates. 9G29, 9H10, etc.

Cleveland engine parts can have 1969 casting date codes on them, but the actual casting numbers will start with D0...( D-zero), for the 1970 (and later) model year.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Cobra Jet, so then if they read the date code right it looks to be about 1 year older then car, most likely service replacement block possibly warranty but don't think it matters, it had to have been replaced prior to 1979 because we never pulled motor until I had it rebuilt in 2002. So if my thinking is right to make it as correct as possible it would need a block with code prior to build date for car? does that make a big difference in value?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts