Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I step on the gas pedal to open up all 4 barrels the kick down does not work and the car floods out and stalls once I let off of the gas. I checked the kick down rod and it appears to be hooked up correctly. Any suggestions as to why its not kicking in?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Is this a recent change? What carburetor are you running?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is the cable on a FMX adjustable like a C4? If so, tighten the cable a little and make sure the slacked loop goes up not down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is not a recent change although I replaced the carb about 2 years ago wth a rebuilt/replated from pony carbs.....I have had the problem since replacing it.........I'm just now getting around to addressing it because i'm tired of stalling out when I step on it.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Using the stock 351-4V cast iron intake manifold with 1 inch carburetor spacer, and the numbers matching Autolite 4300 carburetor?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the kickdown lever? There is screw on the carburetor lever that the rod attaches to. It shouldn't be too difficult to get the rod back into sync, it may have gotten bent out of range. Set the carb at wide open throttle position and go to the trans end of the rod and see if it is pushing on the lever, if not then you have to do some adjusting. It's been a long time sinse I messed with automatic but they are all similar when it comes to passing gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts