·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The car is not listed locally yet, it has been garaged for the past two years. I do have the car tagged and registered in the state of New Jersey. I do have a clean title in hand. All exterior parts not installed in the pictures from my link are included with the sale of the car. Due to their unserviceability, I trashed the carpet/headliner/trunkmat. All other parts not seen in any photos are either included with the car or were never installed from the time of purchase by the previous owner. Sadly, the car does not run at this time, but I could get it there if I wanted to, just don't want to take the time if a buyer prefers it in it's current condition. I was planning on upgrading to a painless wiring kit and possibly a fuel cell, but figured I could also leave the decisions up to the new owner(s). And...if you act now!!! I will throw in a 3-Ton floor jack, a pair of 6-Ton jack stands, 5 qts of Royal Purple oil, a K&N oil filter, a pair of galvanized drip pans, a 15 qt capacity oil recovery pan, and a motorized antenna with a total value of over $300. (;)This is a mercurycougar.net special limited time offer only;))

I will take some more pictures and post them up on here as soon as I can.

Thanks for looking,
Brandon

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What!?! Nobody decided to drop by and say "hello"?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Brandon,

I can't look at the link in your first post from work as it is blocked here, but I am wondering if you have provided enough information to attract potential buyers, maybe it is in the link. In any case, I am not in the market for another Cat at this time, but I am close enough to look at it if someone were interested. I work at Lakehurst part of the time and so am not too terribly far from where you are - we are both part of the joint base.

Regards,

Bob

P.S. So I have stopped by and said "hello" at least!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Bob, Here is the info from the Link..

Year,Make,Model:1968 Mercury Cougar XR7
Description:Title in hand...

68,500 orig. miles, 2 door hard-top, Augusta green exterior with black hood. Orig. big block 390 2V "X-code" produces 280 bhp, 403 ft/lbs of torque. It has a C-6 Merc-o-matic transmission, a "Bullet proof" 9-inch non-posi traction rear end, and 3.25 gears. Disk brakes up front and drums in the rear. Chromed five spoke wheels are size 14" X 6" wrapped in healthy BFGoodrich Radial T/A P245/50R14's up front and P265/50R14's out back.

Needs parts/restoration. This cat needs a main wiring harness, battery, and preferably a new gas tank to get her purring again. Essentially, a 43+ year old project car with all the important metal intact, i.e. engine, transmission, axle, bumpers, etc...

The orig. carpet had been trashed/removed and one dime-sized hole was found in the driver's side floor board. The only other rust through areas that I know of are along the drip rails underneath the trunk lid and hood.

Some exterior/interior parts were removed in order to prep the car for restoration. All of which are included with the car and can be reinstalled before trade or before sale of car.
I can take more pictures for interested parties upon request. Thanks for viewing.

Willing to Trade? YES
Value: $6,000 obo
Email Seller

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Brandon, I'm also not really in the market for another Cougar at the moment but I did go to the link. Even when I'm not in the market, I try to be open to the possibility of a good find that I can afford to capture. That said, I stopped reading when I got to "needs main wiring harness" knowing that the car was already priced at $6K. Others may not feel the same way, but I flashed on chasing gremlins and all the reasons a car might need a complete new main harness.

IMHO, you're facing a couple of challenges with this car. First, it's an X-code and they just don't seem to get the love. They certainly don't get the appreciation that the S-codes and GT's get. Then, combine the electrical issues and the project level of the car and it may be more than people want to tackle when there are drivers out there for comparable money. You may have more luck pricing it as a small-block project and leveraging the big-block as a selling point.

I actually like the idea of getting a well-optioned X-code and using it as the base for another CatVert project since the wife has suggested she'd like to have one of her own after driving BBCat a couple of months ago. But that's for down the road....

Best of luck with the sale! It's definitely a car that deserves to find a good home and be brought back to life!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Very well stated Bill. As a frame of reference for Brandon, I paid $3600 for my X code including transport from CA. It does need work, but it has zero rust and no collision damage. I considered that a good deal, but I may be the only one. :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I appreciate your guys' advice. Thanks for posting the info from my link VIVITRON429. PM sent 1969XR7Vert. Thanks for saying "hello".

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Brandon sorry to see you selling the Cat. Looks like a nice project. Is the engine and trans still in the car? If so I'd try to get it running if at all possible. That would help the sale along and help build some confidence in potential buyers. If it runs well that can only add to the attraction and if numbers matching another big plus. I think the car has a lot going for it AND it's a big block car. Some more pics of everything would help a bit. Oh and "hello". :wave: Good luck with the sale.

Glenn.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brandon sorry to see you selling the Cat. Looks like a nice project. Is the engine and trans still in the car? If so I'd try to get it running if at all possible. That would help the sale along and help build some confidence in potential buyers. If it runs well that can only add to the attraction and if numbers matching another big plus. I think the car has a lot going for it AND it's a big block car. Some more pics of everything would help a bit. Oh and "hello". :wave: Good luck with the sale.

Glenn.
Yeah, I'm gonna miss this one, but I've got a feeling I'll have another before I die. Yes, the engine and trans are both currently installed. Thanks for the kind words Glenn.

Everyone can check my profile out for my photo album that I started almost 3 yrs ago http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/album.php?u=7934

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bump, still for sale

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bump, any offers out there???

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Here's my unsolicited opinion for you. There is only one reason cars don't sell and that's price. Once you hit the right price range, any car will sell. Most folks won't even tender an offer if the asking price is way out of range. Your price for an X code, non-running, disassembled project car with some rust and major wiring issues probably needs significant adjustment. Try cutting your price in half and entertaining offers beginning at half that amount. If that doesn't work, keep lowering it until you get a bite, no matter how painful it is. Otherwise keep it, get it assembled and running then ask $6K.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
If your not in a hurry and the price is fair it will sell eventually. It took me many months to get what I needed out of my 70 Charger R/T and 72 Road Runner. If you need to sell it right away you best to just ebay it or cut your price to where its a great deal. I did end up getting a good price for both my cars even tho I had plenty of people telling me I was way to high and throwing low ball prices at me. Sit down and figure out what your rock bottom price is and price it 10-20% higher. That way the buyer has room to bargin with you and you know where your stop limit is. I have had my best luck using The Recycler and Craigs List. Ebay was just a pain in the butt ! I ended up getting 30% more than the highest ebay bid on the 72 after three tries on Ebay. The Charger R/T sold to the buddy of someone who came to look at the road runner. Good Luck with you sale !

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If your not in a hurry and the price is fair it will sell eventually. It took me many months to get what I needed out of my 70 Charger R/T and 72 Road Runner. If you need to sell it right away you best to just ebay it or cut your price to where its a great deal. I did end up getting a good price for both my cars even tho I had plenty of people telling me I was way to high and throwing low ball prices at me. Sit down and figure out what your rock bottom price is and price it 10-20% higher. That way the buyer has room to bargin with you and you know where your stop limit is. I have had my best luck using The Recycler and Craigs List. Ebay was just a pain in the butt ! I ended up getting 30% more than the highest ebay bid on the 72 after three tries on Ebay. The Charger R/T sold to the buddy of someone who came to look at the road runner. Good Luck with you sale !

A lot of people on here probably would've passed on this car had they seen what it sold for. But for some reason, I fell in love with the car and I guess that was a mistake. I think I am going to have to get more feelers out there as you stated Don. It's only been a month, so I will set a date in mind when I will take my car off the market. If I'm patient enough, I will find the right buyer. And who knows, maybe by that time, the car will be running and I can expect to get most of what I laid down.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Moderators: Please close this thread

I'm gonna take a second look at the car and sort out the stuff that is electrically wrong. I just dove back into my project by removing the rest of the interior including the instrument cluster. So, at this time I am sorry to inform those of you that were even remotely interested, that I will not be selling at this time. Thanks to everyone who responded and lurked.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I think you made a wise choice, and the price was right!!! Besides having something you can tinker on you know exactly what you have and are not in the market for another one at this time!!! Now with a little tenderness you will get her back on the road and thank God you didn't get rid of her. You would have been missing her from the moment someone else sat down in the front seat!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Thread re-opened at Brandon's request, will let him provide the details. Due to my relatively close proximity, I could probably look at the car for anyone that is interested.

Good Luck Brandon.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My car is back up for sale due to an impending divorce. I need to get at least $3000 for lawyer/court fees, alimony, and traveling expenses. I don't know if the timing is right, but I will keep it up for sale for as long as I can stand.

I recently purchased a new firewall to headlight harness along with both door harnesses and I can throw in
some goodies to help with the sale. This includes an air master industrial stand up shop fan, 2 six ton jack stands, 2 aluminum drip pans, a 30 ton floor jack and 2 oil changing containers. A patio furniture set which was a wedding gift can go bye bye too!

I need to get this car sold asap, so I will be posting on Craigslist and where else I can do it for free. The car is not running and will need to be towed from McGuire AFB, NJ to wherever.

Thanks,
Brandon

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Another one going down the big "D" road - sorry to hear about it. On the bright side - it will feel pretty good to get your testicles returned.....DOH (did I just type that out loud?)
Sounds like you are in the right price point to sell it now....I have a hankering for a 03/04 Cobra at the moment - I'm hoping that'll pass soon! Good luck - I'm sure you will find it a good home!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.