Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know a place online I can go to find a 68 XR7 wiring diagram? I have searched the board, not much luck. I have searched the net, not much luck either. I have a standard 68 diagram, but that doesn't help with the interior much at all. That is my main focus, the interior lights, none of them work, and some of the wires have been cut, cannabalized by a PO. I also have a Chiltons, but that isn't helping either. I have the dash all apart now as I had to replace th wiper motor and ignition cylinder, so any quick ideas would be greatful. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A side question

I took the center console out (XR7 mind you), and tucked under the carpet right above the gear shift housing is a wiring connector. The plug has two wires, one blue with red marks, not a stripe, and a black one (ground?). I thought maybe it goes to the gear indicator light, if there is one. I have no idea if there is a light in the gear indicator. The indicators are clear colored plastic (P,N,D, etc). Is this connector for that? I didn't think to check voltage as none of the other lights work.
HOWEVER, the map light console warning lights DO work. At least the door ajar, and seat belt work. Haven't wanted to test the fuel light :)
Sorry, just thought of something else. There are also two connectors hanging under the dash. One red, one yellow. Both have one wire going to it, but the connectors are 3 female, kind of like a power distribution connector. Again, didn't check for voltage. Any ideas on these?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
89 Posts
help

try faxon auto literture its in riverside, ca
they have a store on ebay store of books. this is the one you need caled 1968 Cougar Interior Parts Assembly Manual 68 its about 19.00 worth it thou!i bought it found all the wire's now all my gauges works and so do the lights on my 68 xr-7 good luck

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Navarro,
I have one on order now, along with a CD from another source. Thanks!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts