Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to tell what diameter the front sway bar is on a 69 XR7 without actually measuring it? Does the fact that it is an XR7 mean it has a certain diameter? I want to order some parts, but the car is in storage right now and not easily accessable.

Thanks,

Neal

·
Registered
406 Posts
Is it a 68 or a 69? On my 68 XR-7 I took off the stock sway bar which had a diameter of 3/4" and put on a new 1 1/8" diameter sway bar. Yee-haw! - Chad

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remedial typing lessons needed

Okay, apparently I can't type or proof read for that matter. The car is a 1968.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Sway bars

The problem is that not all sway bars are created equal. Spring steel can have different properties if desired. Even Ford factory bars can have the same diameter and have different properties. A case in point is my 89 Marquis. It has the same OD as a police/taxi sway bar, but has one distinct difference. The factory Marquis bar is hollow! I replaced the front bar with one from a police car, which is solid, and at the same time added the rear police sway bar. Handling is much improved to say the least.

OK, that said, the factory bars in our classic cats are all solid and they used different diameters to achieve the anti-roll rate they desired. The problem is that they used different bars for different applications. A six cylinder Mustang doesn't even have a bar! A small block has one diameter, a small block w/handling package has another, big block cars have another.... Then you also have to worry about the bushings for the various sizes.... The same thing goes for front (and rear) springs. They had so many different rate springs you can go nuts trying to figure them all out.

If I were you, I'd get a set of aftermarket sway bars, both front and rear, that can be matched to your particular vehicle better than trying to find and identify old factory bars. They're probably less expensive, too!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yeah I went ahead and got the 1 1/8" sway bar in the front and then in the back I have a 3/4" "stam-bar" which is nice. It handles pretty good for an older car.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But what size is stock?

Okay I know the stock setup isn't the ticket for great performance, but I'm going to stick with the stock stuff until I can afford the whole rack & pinion and tubular control arm etc. setup.

For the next couple years its a driver, then when I can afford that 64 Lincoln I've got my eye on, the Cougar goes all out performance. But for now, stock (or close to it ;) ) will do.

So a 1968 XR7 with a 302 would have a 3/4" sway bar?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yep Neal that's the one. - Chad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts