Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope someone can point me in the right direction. Driving home after some front end work, drove half way home and she started losing power. On way, just bogged down, gas it and after a few seconds she would take off, but like that for 7 miles or so. Came to stop, gave gas and hesitated. Hit it and took off, then back down over and over. Never cut off but same thing for a few more miles. Now in garage but now after start will run for 10 secs or so then quits. Getting ready to put in plugs and electronic ignition but since I'm a computer guy I'm still trying to learn a little more.

Appreciate thoughts!
Thanks!

·
Contributing Member
1,886 Posts
Hope someone can point me in the right direction. Driving home after some front end work, drove half way home and she started losing power. On way, just bogged down, gas it and after a few seconds she would take off, but like that for 7 miles or so. Came to stop, gave gas and hesitated. Hit it and took off, then back down over and over. Never cut off but same thing for a few more miles. Now in garage but now after start will run for 10 secs or so then quits. Getting ready to put in plugs and electronic ignition but since I'm a computer guy I'm still trying to learn a little more.

Appreciate thoughts!
Thanks!
It wouldn't hurt to check the coil too.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Appreciate thoughts!
Thanks!
You may also check the carburetor. It could be using up the fuel before refilling the bowl. May need a spacer to between carb and intake to keep the bowl cooler and keep fuel from evaporating off prematurely.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Also check for vacuum leaks around the carb, and the ends of the vacuum lines on the engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts