Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to getting a mirror for the passanger side of my 68. Wonder if anyone knows the correct placement of the mirror? Also bought the rubber mirror mounting kit from WCCC. Do I need to take off door panel to install these or do they get pushed in through holes once drilled?
Could not find info in search so hope someone can help.
Thanks. Charlie

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would measure the driver's side mirror location to make the passenger side match up. Perhaps Don can tell you if you have to pull the door panel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I measured the driver's side and matched the location, and didn't have to remove the door panel. I love having this mirror.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Finally got around to getting a mirror for the passanger side of my 68. Wonder if anyone knows the correct placement of the mirror? Also bought the rubber mirror mounting kit from WCCC. Do I need to take off door panel to install these or do they get pushed in through holes once drilled?
Thanks. Charlie
There is no "correct" location since a passenger side mirror wasn't a factory option in 67 or 68. Have someone hold it on the door while you're in the driver's seat and locate it where you can see out of it. Just watch the wing window so you don't block it from opening fully.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Charlie
A few years have passed and the rubber mounts don't last forever... I ordered up a set of the "Riv-Nut" connectors to attach the side mirror, unfortunately the rubber mounts require a 3/8 inch hole to be drilled while the Riv-Nut (Aluminum fastener) requires a 1/4 inch hole. Guess for now I am going to use rubber again. Wonder if there might be a Riv-Nut that would work and fit the larger hole??

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is something called a jack-nut that works kind of like the Riv-nut, but uses a larger hole. It installs pretty much the same way as the riv-nuts (i.e., from one side) so there is no need to remove the door panel. You should be able to get these at a hardware store. http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00070078?src=pla&cid=PLA-Google-PLA+-+Test&CS_003=7867724&CS_010=00070078
Thanks, sounds like just what I need! I'll check the local hardware and see if they have them. If I wind up having to order them, do you know what the size and thread of these screws are that are used to mount side mirrors? I have them but knowing there size and thread... not so much. Thanks again for the tip.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I don't know off hand but just take one of the screws with you to the hardware store and they can tell you. Or you can just buy some similar screws to fit whatever size jacknuts they have there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts