Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring a 68 j code cougar and want to add the XR7 console to it. Have the brackets installed and the console with the harness. I do not know the proper routing of the harness. Hoping someone in the group might have some pics of the harness in place w/o the headliner? I love the 67 - 70 cougars and hope to get mine on the road some day. Thx Jim A

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I don't have a picture but can tell you that it ran along the top front from overhead console to passenger side A pillar and then down. There was one metal clip that held the harness in place half way between console and Pillar. Harness lays right at the lip where the metal stops if that makes sense. Along the front. It then went down and connected into the other harness under dash.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I have to disagree Harvey.

That wiring harness goes across and back to the C pillar, down the front edge of the rear wheel house, and runs down under the passenger side sill plate. That harness is about 14 feet long.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Looking in my '68 Cougar Electrical Assembly Manual on page 27 it shows the wiring harness going to the right to the passengers side A pillar (like Harvey says), then back to the C pillar (like Scott says). At the front of the C pillar along the top of it, there is an oval shaped opening, look in the opening then up, there will be a smaller opening. That is where you feed the end of the wiring harness through which will have 2 plug ins, the wiring harness will then be on the inside of the C pillar. The overhead console W/H runs to the rear window then down to connect to another wiring harness, which then runs down the wheel well and back towards the passengers side of the dash through passengers side sill plate (like Scott mentions again)and plugs into another wiring harness under the dash (like Harvey says). I measured the wiring harness from the overhead console to the end where the 2 plug ins are from my car and it's about 8'4" long. Hope this helps and good luck. Oh yeah, welcome to the MADNESS!!!!!! John

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
CJ went out and looked again, It does run across the top in the front, then to the back and down like you mentioned, I believe it then plugs into the harness that goes to the opera light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts