Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just removed the overhead console from my 68 XR7G. The edge closest to the windshield has 2 phillips head screws, whereas the opposite edge appears to be held in place by clips. Mine only had one clip- it looks like a clip used to hold a door panel in place. The other side had no clip, but I assume both sides used a clip. My question is: what did the original clips used to hold the overhead console in place look like, and did it matter whether the car had a sunroof or not, because mine does and the area to place a clip seems rather shallow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I to am that point. Mine looks like regular door clips. Would you post a picture of the headliner where it mounts, please?

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
They do look like door clips but have a fairly short shoulder to keep the pad tight against the headliner. Kevin and Joe - do your cars have the removeable sunroof access panels or does the headliner go all the way to the windshield? I think most G cars have the headliner all the way forward. our sunroof 68 (non-G) has a removable access panel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Your right, John mine does not have the access panel. the headliner goes all the way to the windshield. I think whoever put the headliner in it put it over all the mounts for the upper console. There's a big lump where the console is held in place. I can see the impression of one of the clips as a matter of fact.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Here is a link.

<table id="Contents Table" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="600"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td width="600">1967 Mercury Cougar / Ford Mustang A Pillar Pad Clip EACH - Used
(Click Here for More Information or to Order)

Part #: apillclip
Web Discount Price:$1.45

This unique little clip looks a lot like the more common door panel clip but on close inspection you will find it is different. Whereas there are slots for three of these per side, only two per side were installed at the factory.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

<table id="Contents Table" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="600"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td width="600">1967 Mercury Cougar XR7 Overhead Console Clip EACH - Used
(Click Here for More Information or to Order)

Part #: 67ohclip
Web Discount Price:$1.45

This clip attaches the rear edge of the Xr7 overhead console to the support bracket. In 1968 the more common...

</td></tr></tbody></table>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts