Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own 5 Cougars. A 67 and a 68xr7 that run, 1 68 xcode that is a project and 2 parts cars(one 68xr7 and a 68 coupe). I just recently noticed an ad for a 67 that is in better shape then mine was/is. It is currently getting a new paint job and major restoration work done. I have already paid the guy and the work is almost done. I am much more partial to the 67's over the 68's and to the coupe's over the xr7's. My xr7 is in great shape and is all original matching #'s 302(as are my 67-289 and 68-390).

I have not checked out the new 67 I saw the ad for yet. I cannot afford it at the moment due to the money I put into my other 67. Do you think it would it be a bad choice for me to sell my 68 xr7 to buy the 67 coupe? I know it's mostly a personal preference question, but would it be a mistake to let go an xr7 car for a coupe?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Going to look at the 67 tomorrow.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Personally I prefer the 67 body over the 68, the 68 interior over the 67, and the 68 xr7 interior over any other 67/68 interior. But to me a big block trumps all, so if the new 67 is a big block, go for it. What part of Winnipeg are you from? Back in the mid 70's I used to cruise Pembina Hwy in my 67 GT.

Colin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Colin, Thanks for the reply. I'm from St.vital, very close to Pembina Hwy. Back in the mid 70's I was being concieved :)

No the new 67 is not a big block, it is a matching #'s 289. My 68 coupe is the big block (current project). The new 67 is also black on black, my favorite. I'm curious to check the door tag tomorrow to see if it's actually originally black on black. I've looked over and over at pictures of my friends 67 xr7 interior and compared them to my 68 xr7. I can't see too much if anything that's different from my interior. What is it that you like about the 68 xr7 that differs from the 67 xr7?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Umm, okay, here's my opinion. You have 5 already and that's enough Cougar's!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I disagree.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I'm with Jeff. You can't ever have enough Cougars.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Until you run out of garage space, barn space, backyard space and, depending on what part of the country you are from, front lawn space, you can never have enough.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
The parts cars don't count. XR7 interior is really nice... Standard interior is very cool in a '60's future modern sort of way. Why sell?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well my girlfriend decided she was going to buy the car for herself. We went to go look at it and of course it was worse than the pictures led one to believe. Wasn't to the point where I would walk away from it until I opened the hood and saw there was no V.I.N. there on the driver side near the fender.

I immediately assumed someone was trying to pass off a 68 as a 67. When I looked closer it looked as though the V.I.N. was just painted over. I went to my truck and got a drill and wire wheel to clean off the "paint". I cleaned right into bondo! The original code was rusted away and bondo filled the hole. And it was deep too... Would this pose much of a problem insuring the vehicle or getting it appraised in the future? Essentially this car is V.I.N.less in my opinion. Any door could have been put on this vehicle at any time.

THe car was of course not an original black exterior. The code was Z not A. Sage Gold Poly. The codes (Phil) are as follows. 7F91A529077 65A Z 2A 22L A2 1 W

I do know a fellow in my city that owns a 67 that has a different code in the door than under the hood and it is insured as the door code car not he actual V.I.N. Is this illegal? Would it be illegal to stamp in the door code of a car into the area under the hood to make them match? Are these cougars just unknown stray cats that can never be figured out?

Oh and by the way... I was reminded by my daughter of another 68 parts car I picked up last year that I have stored at a friends place. So I have 6 not 5, pretty funny when you forget about cars you have :evil:

And I agree, I can and will never have enough Cougars...AAAAANND as the wise xr7g428 said, Parts cars definitely do not count in my books. So really I only have 2 Cougars and 1 more in the making...and 3 parts cars :bloated:

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
ONEBADCAT, since the area where the VIN is rusted away and has bondo, look on the passengers side of the dash through the windshield for a tag with a VIN ('68's had that tag, '67 didn't), look for a Buck Tag mounted on the front of the radiator core support on the passengers side (it's a metal tag about the size of a credit card, '67 & '68 had them except for '68 cars built at the San Jose plants I believe) it will have a VIN stamped on it. Also, does the seller have a clear title to the car, what VIN is on it? You don't want to stamp a VIN to the area under the hood from a tag that may not be the correct one to the car, you could get in alot of trouble. Since the car is black and the door tag shows a paint code for Sage Gold Poly, look in the trunk of the car and see what color it is in there. Good luck. John

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey John, Second place I looked was the windshield. No V.I.N. there so I know it's a 67. I am looking at the car again today and will check the Buck tag you speak of on my cars and will check that car too. Seller says he knows he has the title to the car, it's at one of his 3 houses and he is trying to find it. The car does have gold under the black, I knew that from the first time I looked at it. So if the Buck tag matches the door the car has a chance of being insured I presume?

And as for my friend with the car insured as the door tag, but a different V.I.N. under the hood...What number "should" that car be insured as and what if that other car turns up sometime to be insured with the same V.I.N. number?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You forgot that if you run out of "MONEY" it's time to quit buying Cougar's. No, you could just do what Uncle Sam does, ' KEEP SPENDING', and SPENDING, and SPENDING, there must be a LOOP hole where you could bill the tax payers.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I love the real Chrome pieces of the '67s interior..the visor clip, the window crank knobs..and the steering wheel is much better. The mandated safety BS that was installed in '68 just took it to a cheesier level. The lack of side markers on the body are a benefit too..

Hmm, that is a toughie. The other thing nice about '67s is that it is the Cougar's first year. Those "Car of the year" stickers in the rear Q window are kinda cool too.

If you don't have a '67 that is nice and original, I'd go for it just for the sake of variety(sorry, I lost track of what you have and don't have).

Frankly the Black XR-7 interior of the '67 is by far the best there is, if you ask me. Leather is awfully nice, but fake wood? Real Chrome pieces are awfully nice, but you lose the leather. The standard interior has it's merits and it too is a pretty setup, but you have a toss up here.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
And as for my friend with the car insured as the door tag, but a different V.I.N. under the hood...What number "should" that car be insured as and what if that other car turns up sometime to be insured with the same V.I.N. number?
Well IMO, if the title to the car has the same VIN as to the one under the hood, I would insure it under that. If the title has the same VIN as the door tag, then I would insure it under that. Now if the other car turns up with the same VIN under the hood as to what is on your friends door tag, then there could be a dilemma, IMO. John

·
Registered
565 Posts
You are in the running for the most supportive girlfriend in the world. You may need to change your handle to SIXBADCATS.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have to say that I like the 67 better than the 68 because of what Brian stated. I drove a 67 and a 68 when I was in high school and both were great. I just didn't like the 68 steering wheel compared to the 67 wheel. I have never owned an XR-7 (except my 84 turbo). I am partial to the 67 black on black combo. I would love to have one of each, so I guess I am half way there. :)
Steven

1 - 17 of 17 Posts