Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, The hood on my cougar is flush in the back with the rest of the body panels and flush in the front. midway, front to back the hood is a little lower than the left and right fender, like someone sat on it? Is this normal? or should it be in allignment all the way front to back?

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
You can cheat like I did and use a pair of hood bumpers in place of the middle fender bolts.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Got to find a happy spot between the front and back. raise the back just a pinch it should not move the front that much, If the hood is not straight than thats another matter.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so it is not my hood? It aligns very well right now in the back and in the front, right in the middle it is lower than the side fenders. It has been 31 years since I had a cougar so I am not sure. Last I recall was three of us sitting on the hood using the windshield as a backrest at the drive in. Not this car but a long time ago.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I have seen where a person would put a block of wood or hard rubber block where the fender bolts are and bring the hood down on it. Then, gentaly push the hood down and move the block or blocks around (forwards and back) till the area that needed adjusting met the fenders.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
There is one thing that could go wrong with this. It could also make the fenders sage lower then the hood, it all depends on what is stronger. The fenders also could be shimmed a bit, possibly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts