Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering has anyone every heard of a '68 Cougar XR7 GT? Not a 'G' or a 'GT-E', but a 'GT'. I am not sure what the original motor was as it was replaced about 20yrs ago (I believe it was a big block). I have known this car for about 20yrs, and have never heard of anouther. It was originally green with a black vinal top, and black leather interior. It also has an overhead consle (which just has lights in it). It also is an auto. This may be a simple question, but I have no clue as I have never heard of anouther one. Oh and if possible how many where made and what is it worth. The car now has a 390ci and is black, it could use anouther resto. (It was redone about 15yrs ago, and was done by an amature). Please Email me with any info at:
[email protected]

Thanks in Advance,
Steve Hlady.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
The 68 GT should be a 390 S Code FE Engine. If you can get the VIN# from the windscreen and the details off the door tag (drivers door) we can translate it for you. If is is a GT it should have C6 auto, dual exhausts, disc brakes, chrome air cleaner and rocker covers, GT badges on front fenders, 6" wheels, heavy duty springs and thicker front sway bar

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
73Steve said:
Hi,

I was wondering has anyone every heard of a '68 Cougar XR7 GT? Not a 'G' or a 'GT-E', but a 'GT'. I am not sure what the original motor was as it was replaced about 20yrs ago (I believe it was a big block). I have known this car for about 20yrs, and have never heard of anouther. It was originally green with a black vinal top, and black leather interior. It also has an overhead consle (which just has lights in it). It also is an auto. This may be a simple question, but I have no clue as I have never heard of anouther one. Oh and if possible how many where made and what is it worth. The car now has a 390ci and is black, it could use anouther resto. (It was redone about 15yrs ago, and was done by an amature). Please Email me with any info at:
[email protected]

Thanks in Advance,
Steve Hlady.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to wait until the snow melts alittle, so I can get to the car for the trim tag and vin info. But it does have "GT" on the fenders and disc brakes. Do you know how many were produced.

Thanks Steve Hlady.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yep, what they said! GT came with the 390.

To this day kinda regret not buying a '67 GT in 1981, with a 4speed no less!

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
If it makes you feel any better I have a GT sitting in a shed in Brisbane waiting for me to turn up with the folding stuff or a late 60's mid-sized Mopar station waggon

·
Registered
669 Posts
Lets see, go to Brisbane, buy the car and ship it back....no no insane idea! It would probably cost more to ship the car to Ft.Lauderdale than the price of the car! LOL..

Thanks anyway!! Bert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts