Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the fuel lines on my 67 and have upgraded to the larger 68 style fuel line. Now I am looking for a 68 XR7 fuel sending unit that is in good shape. Any have one they could part with. I have not heard any thing good about any of the repo units.
What do you guys think.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am replacing the fuel lines on my 67 and have upgraded to the larger 68 style fuel line. Now I am looking for a 68 XR7 fuel sending unit that is in good shape. Any have one they could part with. I have not heard any thing good about any of the repo units.
What do you guys think.

Contact John's Classic Cougar and get a rebuilt with a working low fuel sensor.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
These 68 XR-7 sending units are very, very expensive. I sold my extra one recently ( working condition) on an E-bay auction that went up to $284.

Ken

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
You can use a standard sending unit (if you find one you are happy with) with one of my Electronic Low Fuel Indicator (ELFI) kits. The kits are $110 shipped to the lower 48. PM me if you are interested.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Not so good... Here is the way we describe it on our site.

This part is installed on all XR7 fuel sending units and Cougars and Mustangs with the optional Convenience Control Package. Low quality, off-shore part that requires soldering to your fuel sending unit. This is a temperature sensing device that activates when the fuel level drops enough to expose the unit at which point the circuit is closed and the low fuel light comes on. Commonly referred to as a Thermister / Thermistor / Low Fuel Sending Unit.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I was told about this by a customer.. anybody try one?

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=F008+01

Be careful using these! The current draw for the 67 XR-7 circuit is more than the 68. I burned out one after two times it going on. It was replaced for free and the second time I added a 10 ohm resistor in series and it worked for quite awhile then eventually burned out again. After taking it apart its apparent that the thermistor used is too small of a wattage device (it is smaller than the original Ford part), it might hold up for a 68 XR-7, since the 68 circuit draws less current hence less heat in the thermistor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts