Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to thank everyone for all of their help. Having a pool of resources like this is great!

I have a 68 xr7, 302, 4v, etc etc. It has front disc and rear drum.

I cannot, for the life of me, get the brake light to turn off. I have overhauled the brakes, all stock. They needed to be overhauled. The brakes are out of balance. I understand that I have a distibution block (with the sensor) and a proportioning valve. Is this correct.

For people with experience in these brakes, is the proportioning valve the first thing I should try to replace. Also, is the distributino block rebuildable? They are kinda costly.

Let me know, all help is greatly apprecaited.

Thanks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Try doing a search for "brake lights" here on the forums. I had remembered seeing alot of info about this problem. I just did it and sure enough, there is alot of info. You can do a search by scrolling down to bottom of page and clicking on the "Forum Jump" menu.

Side note - My light was stuck on as well for about 4 months after getting it last year. One day it just decided to go off, go figure! I need to overhaul as well. Will probably come back on and stay on after it's done...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine has the same problem. I did get it to go out once or twice,you just have to bleed the brakes in the opposite direction of the way the valve is operated. As far rebuilding it, I have never seen one offered,that doesn't mean it can't be done, just haven't seen it. I rebuilt my proportioning valve myself and now am having problems. Maybe somethings you just can't do in your own shop. Good luck anyhow!

Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts