Mercury Cougar Owners banner

61 - 80 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Let's Redo the Three-Oh-Two

The camshaft and crank. Both are coming out...BTW, if you ever do this, hang on to that little key on the crankshaft. It's called a Woodruff key. I'm starting to learn engine lingo at this point.

Much elbow grease applied to get the block a little easier to deal with. The tops of the pistons got some much needed initial attention, too. Yep, those eight babies are coming out. At this point, it's just me and my 302 engine rebuilding book, and a what-the-heck attitude to just kept pushing on. I'd never done anything like this before.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #62

All eight yielded to my socket wrench without much of a fight.

And one by one the old rings came off and the pistons got cleaned up.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
At this point, I pulled the cam and crank out. Here you can see the coating worn and chipped on the front cam bearing.

The cylinders were in pretty good shape for their age. But I had plans for them, too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #64

So at this point the heads and block went to the machine shop.
The heads were disassembled, given a good cleaning, and reassembled. No valve job needed as the valves were sealing just fine and the head surfaces were nice and flat. That was one of the few things in this project that has actually come in for less money than expected.
The block got cleaned, new cam bearings inserted, the cylinders honed (nope, didn't bore the block), and new freeze plugs installed.
Meanwhile I had parts to clean up. Oh wait, I ALWAYS have parts to clean up.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

The small block comes back all nice and purty.

Phew. All of this posting in one night has tired me out. Headed to bed. This update went from about Jan 2013 to mid-May 2013 - that's when the block and heads came back from the machine shop. More to come soon.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Looking like progress 4 sure TN! keep it coming.....

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
NO valve job? NO new valve seals??? NO hardened seats to run todays unleaded fuels ?? I'd be talking to your machine shop ..... JMOP

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Great project. Best color combo on a cougar.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
NO valve job? NO new valve seals??? NO hardened seats to run todays unleaded fuels ?? I'd be talking to your machine shop ..... JMOP
Silly me. Writing that at midnight. I shouldn't have written it didn't get a valve job, because it did, including new seals. What the heads didn't need was any milling, and they didn't need new valves.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Great project. Best color combo on a cougar.
Thanks! The color is probably what helped me overlook all of the rust. I really like it, too. The plan is that it will be that color again one day - but I'm getting ahead of myself on this forum....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Good job, I am learning just by watching your progress. I am still looking for a Cougar to get started on
Appreciate that. I should post a warning on this forum that this guy is figuring it out as he goes.

Before you buy that Cougar for yourself, assume it will cost twice as much as you expect it to, and that you'll never get out what you put in - unless you're measuring self-satisfaction or greasy, grimy goo.

Then go find you one and get started.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Let's Redo the Three Oh Two

So with the block back and cleaned up real well, it's time to grab that new cam and some assembly lube. My son lends a hand getting it carefully into the new bearings - no banged up bearings and lobes allowed. The lube is critical for the initial engine start when the lobes start smacking the lifters around.

And before you beat me up, the block isn't rusty, it's just the light and the white balance on this shot. I was too lazy to fix the photo.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #74

In go the main bearings. It's real important that no dirt, grit, etc finds it way on or under these babies.

See, I told you it wasn't rusty. These bearings need to be lubed up before the crank gets dropped in.

And it is pretty cool to have your son lend a hand, btw. He's officially a fourth generation car guy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #75

So in went the new crankshaft, a little strip of plasti-gauge and the other half of the bearings, and it got torqued down.
Then off came the bearings, and we checked the clearance between the bearings and the new crank by seeing how flattened the plasti-gauge became. Here you can see my son comparing the measuring stripes on the plasti-gauge paper to the squished plasti-gauge. I got the new crank and matched bearings as a set so in theory everything should be good, but I wanted to be real sure that it was. And, phew - it was dead center in the tolerance range.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)

So the crank goes to it's new home, that I hope will be for a long time to come. The oil can was for oiling the bolts so that they will torque down nicely.

Pistons are up next. One side is in at this point.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)

We used a cheapy little ring compressor but it worked pretty darn well. Just took our time and when a couple of pistons resisted, we backed everything out, lined it all up and tapped 'em home. We double checked the ring orientation, gaps, and gap alignment, too. Check twice, gently hammer in once.

And everything got torqued to spec.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #78

New timing set. I went with a double roller, making sure the marks aligned, of course.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #79

It took me a while, but I finally figured out a way to seat the new seal in the timing cover. The problem was that the seal is recessed so something like the end of a 2x4 wouldn't work. I used the old timing gear, and it worked great - larger in diameter than the seal, smaller than the diameter of the recess.

What wasn't so great was that I put the thing in backwards! :angryfi: It came out later and a replacement went in - so the gear trick worked twice.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #80

I confess I rolled the dice a little bit, and decided to re-use the harmonic balancer after inspecting it. Pulling it off is no big deal if it decides it's had enough of spinning around (now that I know how to use a gear puller). I cleaned it up and laid some paint on it. But, it was scored pretty badly. What to do?

Turns out this is very common. There's a sleeve made for this very thing - only about $4 and my local parts store actually had it in stock. It comes with another sleeve to use to hammer it on with. Easy-peasy. The lesson I learned was to make sure to hammer it all the way down. I didn't do that (as seen in the photo - see the shadow under it?). This gave me a little scare when my pulleys didn't line up later until I figured out what had happened.

61 - 80 of 123 Posts