Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I got this car a couple of weeks ago, and the plan is to make it into a weekend driver for cruising around and handing out at Cars and Coffee.
I've never attempted a restoration, so I am looking for all the help I can get. The car is not in bad shape. Mostly original, but some rust here and there. It's a 302 2V car in madras blue with a polar white top (not a vinyl top), aqua interior, and my favorite part, it's a 4 speed car.

We want to keep it very close to stock, and I'm thinking the only changes to what the factory did will be to upgrade the front brakes to discs and replace the single exhaust with dual. Here are few more pics. (The car looks way better in photos than in real life.) The photos are darker blue. The color toward the front of the car in the photo below is closer to real life. It's very drivable now. Runs and shifts well. (I so missed that V8 sound, too!)

All the lights work.

·
11,000 Posts
Factory four speed, great color combination, with AC. What's not to like? Looks like a great car.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Looks very nice. That will make a nice father/son project. I noticed in the pic of the door data plate, the scheduled build date of 24U is for July (U) 24th, 1968, that's the day after my car was built. Have you ordered a "Marti Report" for the car? BTW, welcome to the forum. :) John

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The day after - that's cool. I haven't ordered the Marti report yet. Adding that to my to-do list...
BTW - No A/C on this car. I wanted an A/C car for summer in Tennessee. Maybe there's a vintage-air post in my (distant) future.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can someone help identify what this ground was used for? I've got a connector hanging with no wire running from it, and it looks like a factory connection. Here's a pic.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
What are the fender mounted turn signal thingies?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What are the fender mounted turn signal thingies?
That's exactly what they are. Turn signal thingies.
A guy told me dealers would add them, and they were there to help the driver remember to turn off their turn signals. They are actually wired into the harness in this car. They look professionally done, and the chrome is obviously as old as all the other chrome on the car so they are definitely period. They're kinda cool in a weird 60's rocket-ship kinda way (but they won't be staying).

And that little chrome thing on the bottom right is a key-hole for an after-market alarm system - circa 1970. It still works too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Can anybody tell me what this missing ground wire was for? There's a connector on the bolt, but no wire. This bolt is on the front of the block to the right of the distributor and below the driver's side valve cover.

And can anyone tell me why sometimes my posts have to wait hours for a moderator to approve them, and some immediately post?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Hmmpf! I have never seen that style of turn signals before! Where is the car from originally, do you know? As you have recently joined the forum, it may take a few days for the servers to learn who you are.
WELCOME.
It is a cool looking car!

·
Registered
316 Posts
The ground could be for a alarm and was changed ?? I can't remember any ground factory wire going on the passenger side head .

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmpf! I have never seen that style of turn signals before! Where is the car from originally, do you know? As you have recently joined the forum, it may take a few days for the servers to learn who you are.
WELCOME.
It is a cool looking car!
Thanks for the welcome, woodsnake.
I'd never seen turn signals like that, either. I think there's a good reason for that. ;)
The car is originally from the Baltimore, Maryland area. It had a female owner who seemingly took pretty good care of the car. I have the original, first edition 1967 shop manual with her name and notes in it. It sat for quite a few years before someone bought it, put new tires on it, and sold it to me two weeks later.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ground could be for a alarm and was changed ?? I can't remember any ground factory wire going on the passenger side head .
Anything's possible, I guess. What's that bolt in the head for, if not a ground?

·
Registered
316 Posts
The head is drilled and tapped for A/C mounting on these particular years . So three holes are there , if you needed a grounding spot this is a area that is open . I have had a lot of Mustangs and old Fords and still never remember a ground to the drivers side head .

Added the wire and terminal are not factory style crimp , looks like aftermarket add . Maybe the engine was flexing wire enough it broke and the moved to apron

Corrected head from previous post

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good luck on the project... I'm in Middle TN as well.... maybe I'll see you around...
Thanks much. It's good to hear there's someone from this board nearby. I checked out your profile and I see you're in Fairview. I'm in Brentwood. I'd love to meet you if you're ever out this way.
I saw the pics of your car, too. Very cool. I'm not planning on going anywhere near a rotisserie restoration, but it's awesome that you have a car that belonged in the family. My dad had a '67 base w a 390 4 spd back in the day. I think that planted the Cougar seed for me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The head is drilled and tapped for A/C mounting on these particular years . So three holes are there , if you needed a grounding spot this is a area that is open . I have had a lot of Mustangs and old Fords and still never remember a ground to the drivers side head...t
That is good to know. Thanks bluestang.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
That is a very cool looking car. I like the colors. It looks to be in very good condition too! I think the two tone paint is sharp!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
It is a great looking ride , and as quirky as the fender turns are I would leave them just like a survivor car would be .

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One very cool thing about this car is that there are great records that came with it. The original owner's manual and the temporary and issued Ford Ownercards are very cool, and in excellent condition.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tomorrow is rear brakes day. According to the service records I have, the last time the brakes were serviced was 1990.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts