Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
My dashpad is pretty awful, just plain BAD! I was trying to remove it tonight and got stuck. I haven't removed one before so let me tell you what I did and where I stopped. I removed the screws that held the actual dash and pad together, then the screws from the front of the pad that connects to the firewall just below the windshield. Figured it would just slide out. Didn't. As the pad is basically trash, I tore some of it away thinking I could see some other screws or clips. Didn't see any, or missed them. Any suggestions??

Also, saw this austion on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1842231954

What are these slashmarks? Are they only on a 67? Only on an XR7? Where do they go? I've never seen them before. Just curious.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hi xr7ron and welcome to the site. There is a stud at each lower end of the dash pad that bolts to the metal dash...have you found those? As for the slash marks, I think they were for the XR7 only and located on the rocker panel just ahead of the rear wheels. 67 or 68 or both...I'm not sure. Hope this helps a bit!

·
Registered
648 Posts
The slashmarks are definately 67 only...and definately XR7.

At least that's what the dude selling a 67 XR7 told me...that's why I bought a 68...:)

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Slash marks

1967 XR7 ONLY

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you've already taken the dash face off you can see the studs that hold the pad onto the metal dash in front.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks all! I see what I need to do. I haven't removed the actual dash quite yet. Thought I could get away with just taking the screws out. Looks like I need to remove the dash to get at the bolts. I can see them when I lift the pad and shine a flashlight in between. I need to fix the interior lights and wipers anyway tomorrow. I'll knock out all 3 things, hopefully before the Saturday night Cruise-In. Thanks again guys! You are great. Hopefully I'll be able to provide some insight on questions before long!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts