Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here put a CD player in there 68 XR7? The reaon I ask is because the black console was obviously made to only handle a two knob radio or tape deck, but no one listens to tapes any more. So I was curious if any one knew of a modification that could be done?

I was thinking of buying an extra one and then taking it and cutting it out to fit the CD player. Any other ideas and does anyone have an extra upper rubber console for sale?

·
11,000 Posts
Please don't cut up another one! Someone here must have one that is already hacked up. They are getting really hard to find, no reason to destroy one. Couldn't you just put a remote CD changer in the trunk?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have installed a cd head unit in my 69 without cutting anything. I took out the original radio and housing as well as the support bracket and then bolted the rear bracket from the old radio to the rear of the cd player. This supports the back of the cd player. I supported the front by making an upper and lower piece to go above and below the Cd player out of MDF. Cover the MDF with vinyl in an appropriate colour and hey presto! I could probably send a pic of the upper and lower pieces if you want. Other than that and if cost isn't a problem - check out www.vintagevibes.com at least I think that the address. Hope that helps

·
Registered
150 Posts
already cut up

I´m thinking of putting in a CD player, my girlfriend gave me one for Christmas. :D

And since the former owner already did cut the console it don´t bother me that much.

·
Registered
408 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
69_cougar_uk said:
I have installed a cd head unit in my 69 without cutting anything
the question was about a 68 so info for a 69 doesn't apply. the 68 console covers the radio, on a 69 the radio is in the dash and a cd player is easy to instal. hawkrod

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd love to not have to cut one up, the only thing is I can't afford a CD changer right now and I've been driving without any stereo at all for about 6 years now, I guess it wouldn't hurt to go longer.

I was thinking about building one, but I want my clock to be able to fit in it as well.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'll trade you my cut up center piece for your non cut up piece.

It your interested let me know and I'll send you pix so you can see if you want to trade. BTW, my interior is black and its a 68 XR7 with the sport clock on the center piece.

it's in pretty good shape too but I would really would like to have a stock radio there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts