Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the All Ford Nats at Carlisle and brought home a GTE hood scoop for my '68. Been thinking about the 70/71 Torino shaker for it and then ran across this GTE scoop. It's new with a little shelf wear and I picked it up for $40. I want to make a NASCAR style, late 90's, rear spoiler out of 1/8"-1/4" aluminum, 2 piece that will mount at a slight angle with the shape of the decklid, attached with large rivets. Ive got several decklids and they are all rotted across the back and this would help hide any repairs and give the back end an agressive look. The wheels I have on it now are Cragar 'D' holes in black with black lug nuts and 215/60/15s up front and 225/60/15s in rear. Am thinking of installing a later model Stang, 99-04, rear fold down seat. More pics and ideas to come...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
$40 with a little shelf wear? Awesome deal, even if repro (which I assume it was).

It was fun debuting and showing my car at the AFN, but I sure missed out and was missing walking the swap meet. :cry:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes its repro. I walked the swap meet and the show area for 3 days until my shins would take no more. Was looking for good valances and everytime I found some the 'vendor' wasn't to be found. There was a 'T' Cobra oil pan in one spot for $150 and no one around. When I came back it was gone, should have camped out but no regrets. Was with my best friend who sold his Ricky Rudd racecar, not far away was a green 69/70 Cougar with a tilt front end. We stayed across the street from the Middlesex diner, consistenly good food everytime we are up there. Thanks for the positive input, looking forward to cruising this cat.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Installed the hood scoop today on my Cougar! First progress on this car in awhile. Had the basic instruction of 1 1/2" at rear center of scoop to rear center edge of hood. Measured and measured with the scoop sitting up on it's mounting studs until I felt I was as close as I could get. Marked the locations for the holes and started drilling with an 1/8" bit and wound up working all the way up to 1/2". No matter how well I lay something out, it seams as it is almost impossible to get it perfect. The larger holes allowed the scoop to sit down on the hood without being in a bind. I had a carb fire on the this car many years ago and had a burned spot on the hood that is now covered, saving me many hours of bodywork. Don't see many Cougars running around and even fewer with these scoops. Going on vacation next week, then when I get back I need to get back on the engine. To be cont...

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been cleaning up my garage and I found a Cougar in there! Finally got around to working on my 'cat' during the month of January 2012. Pulled the heads and camshaft and dropped them off at the machine shop for rebuild. The rocker studs were pulling out and having screw ins installed. Machinist measured the Lunati cam that was in it and it had .496 lift but found 1 lobe worn .100. So we are ordering a new cam, lifters and springs. Got the motor stripped down for a good cleaning and repainting of the short block while it's this far down, and going to repaint the engine compartment as well.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a bent pushrod and a lifter was damaged and stuck in the bore. The clip had come undone on top of the lifter and the 'plunger' was tilted causing the lifter to be out of round. I had gotten this engine in a total with low miles since the rebuild but dont know any details of the build except a friend of the PO said it was balanced and blueprinted, obviously not! I know the heads and cam will be matched when I get done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts