Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have rebuilt my steering wheel switch, sequencial plug and play box, have all LED light bulbs on the rear lights. When the parking lights are on , and the headlights, the drivers side turn signal center bulb does not flash. When the lights are on , brakes on, all lights in the rear are fine. When the parking lights are off, and no headlights on, the drivers turn signal is fine. The center bulb (driver) is not quite as bright as the others. The passenger side sequencial works fine it all settings.
Why is it that the drivers center light is not as bright as the others andthat it does not work when turn signal is applied and the parking or headlights are on? I have checked the ground at the taillights and the wires, and the contact of each bulb, even before i switched to led, that center bulb was not as bright as the others. is there another place to check for a ground problem? or any other ideas.
Thanks
PB

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, the center light is also used as the "emergency flasher" bulb. So it's wiring must be somewhat different from the rest.
I hate to send someone on a wide goose chase, but I had the same problem with my cougar. I believe that there is a ground wire that is mounted to the wall right behind the fender extention on the drivers side, or possibly I'm thinking about the "automatically resetting circuit breaker" used in case of an overload or short circuit in the "brakelights/rearlights wiring. So, either add a ground wire to the circuit breaker mounting screw and 'jumper' it to the ground wire that comes out of the taillight harness and then is mounted on the rear wall of the trunk, the one that is the mount surface for the drivers side tail light housing. Also, I have found that the "spring-fingers" of the bulb sockets that fit into the taillight housing and mount the light bulbs were just to sensitive to connection problems where they go into the rear taillight housing. This connection is the "ground" connection and if bad causes untold of headaches. I went to the junk yard and got some bulb sockets from a "69" cougar and all of those problems went away. I also "lined" the reflector areas of the taillights with heavy-duty aluminum foil because the reflector surface was corroded. This seems to have solved a grounding problem and possibly the dim center light problem also. By wraping the foil thru the opening that the bulb socket fits thru, it makes the ground connection of the socket to the housing "good". Just try it on the center bulb socket/ housing hole, to see if it solves your dim center bulb problem. Additionally, there are one or two ground wires that connect the two or three units of the sequencial lights together on the mount pad that 'swings' free in the driver bay of the trunk. You might try using a "jumper wire" to momentarily "double ground" them in an effort to see if in fact the grounding wires are functioning as they should.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I do believe the center light is the one "connected" to the front flashers. Maybe start by looking at the front light DS flasher for a bad ground?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, I will try the foil where the light socket fits into the whole.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will have to check when the light is at it's dim point, when I'm driving a friend following me said the left turn signal was working fine with the headlights on, go figure, there must be something on it's way out. I will try the meter and compare to the right side.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
With a car getting fresh paint is that going to affect my ground for the taillights? or will I have to scuff the paint where the light goes through the hole in the trunk?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts