Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about my sequential turn signal. The middle and outside signals work correctly, but the inside signal on both sides doesn't. What can be causing this? The turn indicator comes on and stays on even though the middle and outside signals work as the are supposed to. I read somewhere that an easy fix is to use a metal file and clean part of the sequential unit. Which part is the sequential unit? The picture below contains the three major pieces that are connected to a wiring harness near the driver side tailight. I thought everything was original, but the black piece at the top has a Cougars Unlimited sticker. Any ideas?

I will post a picture of the rest of the car in the picture section.

AB
Pensacola

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
I may be wrong as I have never seen an electronic/solid state sequencing unit, but that looks like what you have. If when your turn signal is on, and you CANNOT hear a motor in the trunk turning, along with a clicking sound in tune with your lights, then I would certanly say you have an electronic unit, from Cougars Unlimited no doubt. In that case, I can't help you. Like I said, I have never seen one, much less worked on one. Someone else on the forum, or even Cougars Unlimited may be able to help.
I tried to find warranty info on Cougar Unlimiteds' website, but couldn't find anything.
I included the pic to give you an idea of what the original mechanical pieces should look like. This doesn't show the hazard relay, and some other items. But gives you an idea. And usually, all the pieces are attached to a small panel mounted on the side of the trunk.
Hope I at least provided some insight for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well in your pic, it looks like the emergency relay is the one on the bottom. The sequencer relay is the flat metal box (just above and to the left of the emergency relay). And the sequencer motor is probably the box in the back. I cannot see if there's a motor attached to it from this view, but there's not much of an alternative than that being the sequencer.
If it's original there should be a motor attached to it and if you open up the white box there should be 3 switches and a camshaft to operate them.
When it turns out to be an electronic replacement, not much of a chance on the metal file trick. You'll probably be replacing it when busted.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Matthijs

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yup, it's an electronic sequencer. I can't be much help either because its...well...all electronic :rolleyes: . Try this site, but I think it's meant for a mechanical sequencer. http://www.thuntek.net/cougars_unlimited/default.htm#TS_Parts

PS The turn signal indicator not blinking is a common problem with the 67-68s. But if you look closely, you will see small increments of brightness as the lights sequence. If you rev the engine you will find that they usually blink.

·
Registered
428 Posts
bruter said:
PS The turn signal indicator not blinking is a common problem with the 67-68s. But if you look closely, you will see small increments of brightness as the lights sequence. If you rev the engine you will find that they usually blink.
Now that's exactly what mine does (don't know about the revving though). Funny thing is when I turn on the emergency flashers the indicators flash normal. Guess this is of no use to this topic, but I just wanted it out of my system.

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
All that means about the signal indicator is that the alternator does not provide enough juice at low rpms. So increasing the rpms will create more electrical power and operate the indicators normally. The emergency light circuit probably needs less power to operate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts