Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I have a 68 XR7 with an upgraded turnsignal setup in the trunck and have this reoccurring problem with the directionals and the headlights. With headlight off, they work fine. With the headlights ON, they no longer flash at all, not even just the center, nothing. The indicators on the dash light remain solid, no blink there either.
Hoping someone else may have had a similar problem and can help. Checked service manual, nothing there and tried a search of this web site and had no luck there either. Inspection time is here and need to do something to pass with this issue... Any suggestions much appreciated!!
Charlie

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took another look at the set-up in the trunk and it is an update from the original wirl and buzz unit but not a solid state unit like the one I saw on WCCC. So to make a long story short... I ordered a new set-up from WCCC and hope that will fix the problem, can't make it any worse.
I will post results once installed, should be here by weekend.
Charlie

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
You might try looking at the taillight bulb sockets and checking for proper ground of them through the taillight housings to the body. Generally if a TS problem comes up when you turn on the headlights it is because of a ground problem at the lights, the parking light voltage will backfeed the TS filament and cause what you describe.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will give that a shot. Took a dremel to all the connections I could get to in trunck flasher unit and didn't help. Can use same tool to clean the contacts where the sockets pop into the tail lights and will try getting the contacts for the bulbs at the same time. Worth a shot and makes sense. Fords seem to have a reputation for ground issues, didn't think of the sockets on my last ground polishing adventure. Thanks for the tip!
Charlie

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All...
Here is the update to the prolem with the directionals only working with the headlamps off. I ordered the new solid state flasher unit that goes in the trunk from WCCC and also replaced the curcuit breaker in trunk that has been broken forever. After about 10 minuyes of installation time everything works and the directionals now work whether the headlights are on or not. Also the dash blinker lights now blink, something I have not seen in over a year!!
I would HIGHLY recommend that anyone who is fighting with their directional to go out and buy one of these units, can't hurt the situation and may fix EVERTHING like it did for me.
Happy motorring
Charlie

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
That is cool problem solved easily and not to expensive. I think on mine I am going to get the system working 100 percent with the original equipment. Then buy the solid state unit and install. I will keep the original handy for car shows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts