Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turn signals are working normally. My question is about my dash indicator lights. When the turn signal is activated, the indicator will click and flash one time, then it will stay on until the turn is completed. The emergency flashers click and flash once with each sequential cycle. Why don't the turn signals click and flash like the emergency flashers? It's not a big deal, but I find my turn signals flashing, and I don't realize that they're on. It would be nice to have the clicking noise. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Very common... If you did a poll you would find 7 out of 10 67-8's were that way and 2 out of 10 do not work at all. Rocketman hopes to do a solid state replacement for the relay one day.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i believe vic yarberry (cougars unlimited ) has one now--used it in colleens cat with led bulbs---i don't think its in the catalog but give him a call---replaces the whole turn sig indicator flasher and box
doctordesoto

·
Registered
74 Posts
Easy Fix: '68 turn indicator light question

This is an easy problem to fix. Under the dash, on the firewall is the flasher box for the indicator lights. It is rectangular, about 3/4" x 1-1/2". Unplug connection and remove the flasher (2 screws if I remember correctly). To open it up, you will have to unsolder the ground connection to the case. After opening, just bend the contact arm to reduce the spring pressure to the contact points. Close it back up, resolder the ground connection to the case, reinstall, and you are good to go. Sorry, no pictures.

Or you can spend the money on the electronic version. I'm cheap.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I removed the relay, opened the case, adjusted it as you described, tested it on the bench, put it back in the car. When I try the turn signals, the indicator light will click and flash one time, then remain on constantly until signal is cancelled. If I use the opposite turn signal, it will click and flash once and stay on as well. However, if I use the emergency flashers, the indicators click and flash with each cycle as they should. This makes me think that the relay is OK, unless there is something that I'm not considering?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Couldn't it be the ll552 flasher can? just wondering.
Does it even have a flasher can? If so, where is it located? I was under the impression that the relay was the cause for all of the problems.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
one over the glove box, if i remember correctly, the other on the driver's side. One is the emergencies, the other is supposed to be for the dash flasher lights.

Just put the emergencies on, and you should hear the clicks.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I'm NOT saying get one! mine also has a problem, and it's related to that particular area. Changed the can to a ll552, and it got worse. At least, i now know what wires to follow

·
Registered
74 Posts
I took me a couple of tries to get the tension light enough for the flasher to work. Can't say yours will work, but mine did. However, you might also have other problems.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
there is another poor mans fix---hook the indicator lights to the wires going to the front turn signals(the bundle over the e-brake peddle) i know this works because when i first put led indicators in the dash , they would't draw enough power to kick the relay---the downside is there is no "click" during the flashing---vic's solid state one incorperates two universal type relays that you can hear
doctordesoto

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I'll give it a try, but the only clicks that I've heard so far come from that relay.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I removed the glove box door and got underneath there and I'll be darned if I could see anything that even looked like a flasher can.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
There was one under the dash screwed to the firewall just to the right of the steering column I think and the only other one that recall was screwed to the rear of the car just outboard of the driver side tail lights. Other than that everything was part of the sequencer unit. No per say flasher can like in my newer ford.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
by the way, just thinking out loud but if there is a burnt out bulb in the circuit the indicator will not flash. either up front or in the rear. Have you checked all the turn signal light bulbs?

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
passenger side behind radio? I thought they were above the glove box (emergencies), but I could be wrong.

my flasher just hangs near the gas pedal, with enough wire to stick it behind the radio.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The other day I called Rocketman Bob to see if he had any ideas, but I'm still waiting for him to get back to me.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The other day I called Rocketman Bob to see if he had any ideas, but I'm still waiting for him to get back to me.
I don't know how I missed that call. I have been following this thread, but have no first hand knowledge to add to the conversation. Once I get a 67/68 to play with I will be more help. For now I am in read and learn mode on this one. Sorry

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ran into the same problem. My lights weren't sequencing, so I installed the solid state kit. After the install, the dash indicators would blink/click once and then stay on when i engaged the turn signal, but would blink/click normally if i set the emergency flashers. Fully charging the battery fixed it. Indicators will stop working when battery runs low, and if I'm stopped at a light too long. Then they start when I hit the gas. Just a minor annoyance. I wonder though if I need a better battery? Or alternator?

My turn signals are working normally. My question is about my dash indicator lights. When the turn signal is activated, the indicator will click and flash one time, then it will stay on until the turn is completed. The emergency flashers click and flash once with each sequential cycle. Why don't the turn signals click and flash like the emergency flashers? It's not a big deal, but I find my turn signals flashing, and I don't realize that they're on. It would be nice to have the clicking noise. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts