Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've been on here anyway (I just started another thread), I thought I'd also ask about my trans linkage. I was at a car show last weekend, and there was someone there with a '67 Cat. I was telling him about my weird shifting problem, and he thought I might have a '69 linkage on my car, instead of a '68.

Anyway, what it is, is if I put the selector in "D", then the car starts off in 2nd gear, then shifts to 3rd. But, if I put the selector in "2", then it will start off in 1st gear, and shift up to second, and third!! Plus, when you put it in 'park', you better make sure it 'catches', or else it will start rolling backwards! You have to shove the selector up, and hold it, until you can actually feel the gear 'catch', then you know you're OK!

Anyone have ideas?

John

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You may want to check that the linkage is matching up withthe indicators by marking where it is now (for reference) - loosten it up so you can put the trans lever in the correct detent position and tighten it back up again. Could be off just enough to be binding a little in park. Or ....maybe the park pawl is pretty worn in the trans - but if the other gears aren't lining up to well I bet it's just a matter getting the linkage synched up with the indicator.....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may want to check that the linkage is matching up withthe indicators by marking where it is now (for reference) - loosten it up so you can put the trans lever in the correct detent position and tighten it back up again. Could be off just enough to be binding a little in park. Or ....maybe the park pawl is pretty worn in the trans - but if the other gears aren't lining up to well I bet it's just a matter getting the linkage synched up with the indicator.....
Is there a difference between a '68 and '69 linkage? I was just wondering if what that guy told me was right.

But, the problem I see is, if it goes through all 3 gears when it's in the second gear slot, and when it's in drive, it starts out in second gear, that would appear to me to be backwards! I know the newer vehicles I have, when I put the selector in second, the vehicle starts off in second! So, if this C4 is the same way, then isn't something backwards on here? I'm almost afraid of messing with it, for two reasons: first, I've NEVER adjusted shift linkage before, and second, if it IS the wrong linkage, and I try to adjust it, then I'm afraid that I'll really screw it up, and that maybe I'll NEVER get it into park! I don't know?

John

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Since I've been on here anyway (I just started another thread), I thought I'd also ask about my trans linkage. I was at a car show last weekend, and there was someone there with a '67 Cat. I was telling him about my weird shifting problem, and he thought I might have a '69 linkage on my car, instead of a '68.

Anyway, what it is, is if I put the selector in "D", then the car starts off in 2nd gear, then shifts to 3rd. But, if I put the selector in "2", then it will start off in 1st gear, and shift up to second, and third!! Plus, when you put it in 'park', you better make sure it 'catches', or else it will start rolling backwards! You have to shove the selector up, and hold it, until you can actually feel the gear 'catch', then you know you're OK!

Anyone have ideas?

John
I just got off of the phone with John, I think he has an earlier style Cruise-O-Matic transmission like found in a 1966 Mustang. The shift selection is what tipped me off.
He is going to try and adjust his shifter linkage at the shift arm under the car. That should fix the binding problem in the shifter lever. The transmission shift arm is too tight to allow the shifter lever to get into the locking position.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got off of the phone with John, I think he has an earlier style Cruise-O-Matic transmission like found in a 1966 Mustang. The shift selection is what tipped me off.
He is going to try and adjust his shifter linkage at the shift arm under the car. That should fix the binding problem in the shifter lever. The transmission shift arm is too tight to allow the shifter lever to get into the locking position.
Scott,

Thanks again for spending so much time with me on the phone, answering my questions! You guys are OK in my book!!

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts