Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some help here. The tail lights were working fine on the car (68 XR7) but now the turn signals just blink the bulb in the middle of the set when the turn signal is on. Either the right or the left, same thing. I have checked some of the grounding in the trunk area. The sequencial motor is turning and I can hear a clicking noise, but I thought that was normal. The noise I mean.:confused: Clould something as simple as a bad bulb cause this? I did not have time to check all the bulbs today, but I will tomorrow. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Middy..:1zhelp:

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 67 and 68 had the same/similar problem. There is a relay for the emegency flashers that went bad on both cars. A small ground wire attaches to the outside of the case broke, really small, hard to fix. For now I have just jumpered it out. Not the best, all lights do the sequential thing when the Emergency switch is on, but have not taken the time to track down another one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Solution

If you dont care about it being factory I have a cheap solution. Bypass the relay with 2 jumper wires. By doing this when you it the hazards the turn lights will sequence from the inside out on both sides I have done this to both my cats with no bad side affects, and its cool to do at shows. If interested I can post pics.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy crap guys, that was a fast response. I would love to see the pics Fokkerj. Thanks a bunch...

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
It's it the trunk on the pad with the rest of the sequencer goodies. That one is the smaller one of the two relays. Check all the plugs, you might get lucky and just have a bad connection...

Bruce

·
11,000 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am still experiencing some difficulties. I checked out the light bulbs and changed a couple out. I jumped the relay like described and the two outer lights on each side finally started the sequencial thing (middle and outer bulbs). I had been checking connections, grounds, etc. I took a break, drank a beer and hooked up the relay in place of the jumper wires. I started the car and whadda ya know. the sequential lights decided to work now. I am still curious in the fact that even with the lights working for now, I tried to jumper the relay again with the hazard lights on, the two bulbs closest to the license plate would not work sequentially.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Middy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts