Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya. Now that my 68GT is on the road again, I want to fix something that's been broken on it for about 12 years...the power steering. My buddy had the car and took the guts out of the power steering control valve and kept them in a nice little baggy....well, now I have the car, with a hollow steering valve and a baggie full o parts. Does anyone know of a website that shows how all this stuff goes in? I think it initally had a really bad leak, which is why he took it apart...but I'd like to try to get it together. He still has the manual for it, so I'm outta luck there...any input?
Thanks!
Chris (buff forearms)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any affordable rebuild kits that anyone knows of out there? I am planning on putting some $$$ into this car, but still have some work cut out ahead of me...radiator repair, motor rebuild, etc...I could probablly spend a couple hundred dollars to get the power steering up and functional.
popeye

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Send me your email address and I will send you a scan of the assembly instructions from my rebuild kit.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I would advise you to spend the 30 couple bucks and buy a service manual. I re-built my complete front end including the steering control valve and cylinder. Not only do the parts need to be in right but there aer adjustments to it all. The control valve has to be screwed on the center link at the right distance also (there is a measurement but I forget what it is). Regardless by the manual. It is worth every penny and easy to find. E-bay has them on CD for your computer also...
Scott

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I got a better idea, use your bag of parts as a core and take it to your local Autozone and get a complete rebuilt unit, bolt it on and forget it. Autozone had them for about $80 and I think the rebuild kit that I bought locally on the last on I did was like $35 and that didnt include the ball socket, so its not worth the hassel to rebuild your old one plus you get a warrenty with the rebuilt. mm

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice

Wow, Autozone carries these? I looked in my bag of parts and it included parts that I didn't see in the picture of the $40 rebuild kit....such as a pice of metal tubing, about 5 inches long, with a 45 degree angle on both ends....what up wit dat? It looks like a rebuild may be the way to go....at first I thought Autozone sucked, but they have had a few parts that I couldn't find anywhere else....like a flywheel for the 390/c-6...IN STOCK! I would love a scan of the installation instructions..I have the manual coming in a month or so (actual shop book)...the rebuilds come with the ball stud thingy? I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks guys...any other advice would be greatly appriciated.
Chris

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
The rebuilt unit comes complete with the ball stud. The entire unit unscrews from the centerlink.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
seal kits are $12 and millions of vehicles used them. Ball stud and sliders cost extra but you rarely need them. They are supposed to have a certain amount of looseness to allow them to slide freely. Buy the manuals pdf discs are $15

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Sorry ask for a seal kit for a granada its same and more likely in books still.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts