Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally received my new bellows in the mail today from Mac's. I'm planning on using a hot-knife to cut the old bellows from the two end plates, so as to not bend or distort them. Also planning to heat up the new rubber bellows in the sun, or with a heat gun prior to assembly. Should there be any sealer/sealant applied where the rubber bellows meet the end plates to avoid vacuum leaks? Or should it fit snug enough to seal sufficiently as long as the end plate sealing surfaces are cleaned up properly?

·
Registered
384 Posts
There is no sealant required just make sure the end plates are clean from any corrosion or rust. Heating the new one will make for an easy on. Don't forget the wire hoops and the spring. Connect it to a vacuum valve and attach to an engine and watch for leaks. Rotating the end plates back and forth usually will seal it.

Reactions: desertdave55

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no sealant required just make sure the end plates are clean from any corrosion or rust. Heating the new one will make for an easy on. Don't forget the wire hoops and the spring. Connect it to a vacuum valve and attach to an engine and watch for leaks. Rotating the end plates back and forth usually will seal it.
Wire hoops? Oh yeah, there they are on the old bellows, I hadn't noticed them before. The spring? Uh-oh. I'll have to check back with Mac's to see if they offer a repro. Many thanks ClawIt, really appreciate your input!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts