Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This topic has probably come up before, however, when I performed a search on it, nothing came up. Anyway, my apologies if this topic is <I>old hat</I>.

Does anyone know of a good source for obtaining a pair of <FONT COLOR=orange><B>97NA</B></FONT> bulbs for the side marker lights on my '68 Cougar?

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<FONT=tahoma>
I wish it were that easy - I haven't had any luck with any of the parts stores in my area. Any idea if any Classic Cougar/Mustang parts vendors stock 'em?
</FONT>

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Im sure they will, did you try Wal Mart or stores like that in there auto parts isle.

Rick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<FONT=tahoma>
I've tried Wal-Mart, K-mart, Advance Auto Parts, Checker Auto, AutoZone, etc., but none of them stock the 97NA. Most of them stock the <B>#97</B> bulb, but not the <FONT COLOR=orange><B>#97NA</B></FONT>.

Several years ago, I made an inquiry to Sylvania about this bulb - their reply was that it was no longer manufactured. Based on that information, I thought I'd try the Classic Cougar Forum to see if anyone knew of where I could find some of these rare bulbs.

Anyone have any possible leads/ideas?

Paul
</FONT>

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I just saw some this morning, how many do you need, send me some money and I'll pick up somw for you. Im in BC, Canada so shipping is involved.

Rick

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have to replace one of my marker lights too. If I am able to locate the proper bulbs I'll let you know and we can arrange to have a couple sent your way. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dark7068 said:
I just saw some this morning, how many do you need, send me some money and I'll pick up somw for you. Im in BC, Canada so shipping is involved.

Rick
<FONT=tahoma>
Out of curiosity, did you happen to notice whether they were painted or amber glass?

Thanks for your help!
</FONT>

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Didnt notice, just saw the number, , Ill pick some up for you later today if you need some.

Rick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dark7068 said:
Didnt notice, just saw the number, , Ill pick some up for you later today if you need some.

Rick
<FONT=tahoma>
Cool, thanks Rick - I'm not in dire need of them at the moment, but I would like to have some spare bulbs. I'll get back to you on that offer shortly...

Paul
</FONT>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dark7068 said:
I just thought of something., I thought the side lights were 194A. Hummmm.

Rick
<FONT=tahoma>
According to the Shop Manual, the correct bulb is the 97NA. On a related note, I just found a pair of 97NA bulbs in my garage yesterday afternoon - I forgot I had 'em! Unfortunately, when I plugged them in, they lit intermittently. The parking lights behaved the same way with the 97NA's plugged in. Once I removed them (the 97NA's), the parking lights lit up like normal. I need to do some more troubleshooting, but I wonder if the side marker sockets need to be replaced(?). The bulbs that were in the side marker sockets prior to installing the 97NA's were a pair of 1178A's. I wonder if having an incorrect bulb (1178A) installed somehow damaged the side marker sockets(?).

Paul
</FONT>

·
Registered
519 Posts
Chrikey!

Now I can't find any 97NA bulbs at my parts stores!

I may need one of you guy to buy me a couple and send them my way. :1poke:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
ever thought of going to a truck stop and looking at there light section ;) the even have light covers, worth a look isnt it:D

Rick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
evilmess said:
[thinking out loud] What if I just get the clear bulbs and paint them amber? [/thinking out load]

:p:
<FONT=tahoma>
Yeah, those little 97NA's are damn hard to find (at least here in the States). I'd imagine your suggestion of painting a pair of 97's would work. As far as I know, the clear and amber bulbs are identical except for their glass color. If you try painting the clear bulbs, you'll probably want to use a high temp paint since they tend to run a little warm.

:evil:
</FONT>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dark7068 said:
ever thought of going to a truck stop and looking at there light section ;) the even have light covers, worth a look isnt it:D

Rick
<FONT=tahoma>
Yeah, a truck stop would probably be a good place to check - they just might carry some items as rare as this elusive bulb. I've also thought about checking some motorcycle shops to see if they carry 'em or if they know where they can be found.

Paul
</FONT>

·
Registered
273 Posts
:mad: I havent found any in my local area either. Please advise...Lance

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
97A mini bulb

I found a 97A bulb. Is this the one you want?

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
dual element or single

I think mine are dual element someone correct me if I am wrong..
Lance

1 - 20 of 55 Posts