Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm, looking for a primo set of 67/68 Saddle kick panels with the speaker holes drilled into them. For my G restoration. Thanks.
Z

·
Contributing Member
1,941 Posts
Zogman,

I bought a re pop set and drilled my own holes using a drill temp I made.

There are 1,099 holes in each kick P. It takes me about 6 hours to do a set and well worth it compared to nos prices, if you can find a set that's not brittle or warped

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
catman said:
Zogman,
I bought a re pop set and drilled my own holes using a drill temp I made.
Tell us a little bit about that template you made. Your panels look nice.

·
Contributing Member
1,941 Posts
c7xr7 said:
Tell us a little bit about that template you made. Your panels look nice.

There are twenty six, 35 hole rows plus one row each of 34,33,32,31,30 and 29 That = 1,099 holes all equally spaced in X and Y with the exception of the holes on the stiffening rib.

Orig holes were punched with a pancake die all at the same time. The die was designed to shave out the holes and leave the shavings attached on the back. This gave them something to glue the insulation pad to.

I wrote a program about five years ago to run it on a NC. The NC could only do at rapid rate 30 seconds between holes X 2,198 hits = TOO much $ for machine time. So I ran part of the DT instead. Since they are equally spaced I can use it to put in all the holes. These holes are also the correct size.

I had to drill a set of Parchment panels for my GT because I have the factory kick panel speakers and the 8-track

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
catman said:
. So I ran part of the DT instead.

You lost me there. What is DT and how does this make a template? Need better info since I'm slow!!!!!!

·
Contributing Member
1,941 Posts
Zogman said:
catman said:
. So I ran part of the DT instead.

You lost me there. What is DT and how does this make a template? Need better info since I'm slow!!!!!!

DT =( drill template)

Instead of running the entire program drilling all 1,131 of the holes in a piece of formed steel I ran part of the program ( 8 rows of 36 holes) on a piece of flat steel. I used it as a drill temp and layout temp to copy the rest of the hole pattern.

You could use an old panel to lay out the hole pattern on a piece of medal by spray painting through the holes like a silk screen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts