Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Bgrant's son Tim here. My 68 is my daily driver and i have been having some issues going into reverse. It always will shift just sometimes takes forever when waiting to back in/out of a parking spot. Besides getting the transmission fixed/replaced any other solutions i can try to make it last a bit longer?

Thanks

- Tim

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Sounds like the bands are slipping? First thing I would do is check the fluid level. You have a 302 so I am guessing you have a C-4 tranny, The bands on that can be adjusted as long as they are not burnt out. Call around and see if you can find someone who can adjust the bands for you.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
+1 on checking the fluid level first. Follow the instructions on the dip stick. I.E., hot, idling in park. Also, the actual level is where the mark is on both sides of the dipstick. Sometimes it will show higher on the "front" side of the dip stick, than when you flip it over...The fluid should be red-ish in color, and not have a "burnt" smell to it.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I think that would be an FMX wouldn't it..? Make sure it's not overfilled for sure....you can smell it if it's burnt

·
Registered
39 Posts
might be the low reverse servo, or band, try downshifting to 1st at about 20 mph and see if it nose dives, if it does band is holding, maybe a loose or cracked servo piston.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts