Mercury Cougar Owners banner

68 rear trunk/tail lamp panel where bumper mounts, etc

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  mmmeat 
#1 ·
hard to tell in the pic but the left area of the trunk and rear panel are rusted out...the trunk floor is a no biggie, they make the replacement panel, what i have a question about is the panel where the tail lights mount, the lip at the bottom that the valance screws into is rusted across in a straight line across that ridge. the valance bots up to it still but nothing supports it. also the left hand bumper mount, the bolt hole was rusted through and now you can see the large hole. does anyone make a patch panel for this section? can we just patch that part where the bumper bolts in and replace the inside the trunk mounted bumper bracket thing? looking at the entire panel where that valance screws into place, it looks like that whole thing can be cleaned, treated, and welded back together and ground down...its not all rotted out, just a fine crack all the way across and rusted through...thoughts/suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok, I have replaced that rear tail light panel, and it's a dog. If you can cut out the rusted portion, and form another piece to replace the piece where the bumper bolts to, and buy the bumper support that goes on inside of trunk,(same as mustang) I think you will be ahead. All this depends on your sheet metal skills.

#4 ·
cool. my sheet metal skills aint worth a crap....but the body shop guy that lives next door sure has some skillz hahaha. he's almost as excited about getting it on the road as i am. he's already told me how we (he) can repair the rusted lip on the hood since its not bad....but he's out of town right now so i thought i'd ask the knowledgeable peeps here. thanks. oh and i already did some checking on teh bumper support inside the trunk, and WCCC has it for like 15 bucks i believe...biggest "expense" is going to be the trunk pan on the left side but at least its available.

#5 ·
I formed some pieces and welded in. There is plenty for room for error since it it pretty much a hidden area. Weld and grind. then repeat!

#8 ·
money still goes back to japan. and when they start to rot , be carefull of the frame not rotting in 2! the tacomas are good for that trick! but otherwise, yes i agree it is made here and a few us citizens got paid for building it .

#9 ·
hahaha so far the Tundras havent rotted.... its prob on its way out of the driveway anyway...two gas guzzlers are kinda suckin...the yukon xl is teh main family wagon for now so i can get something more effecient probally.

and yeah, the money goes back to japan....but big whoop. not like it woudl have been used responsibly here- yota didnt have to ask for a loan from their gobberment...

but if i were doing another truck anytime soon, id probally seriously look at an f150.... we almost bbought one last year...but now that they have the ecoboost V6 with decent power and decent mileage its looking intriguing... i need to save some money to sink into this cougar haha

#10 ·
If you are looking at Ford, check out the F350 4x4 Crew Cab! That would replace the Yukon and Tundra and the government didn't bail them out! Might even get crazy and check out there Ranch King but that thing costs as much as a house.

#11 ·
If you are looking at Ford, check out the F350 4x4 Crew Cab! That would replace the Yukon and Tundra and the government didn't bail them out! Might even get crazy and check out there Ranch King but that thing costs as much as a house.
Dayum Straight..Ford didn't need a bail out and they are the one US automaker I'm proud of. Oh, but then I've been a Ford Fan since my childhood ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.