Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced driverside manual air vent/gasket; it seals fine and there is no air leak here

Now I feel cold air leaking in from outside the car on the driver's side at the a/c panel controls/fan/temp; also, some water leaks in at this area when it rains hard. Cowel area is rust free as is underdash area. Any ideas as to where this air leak might be coming from and how to seal it?

·
Registered
391 Posts
It could be one of a couple of things -- my car has AC as well, and there is a small vacuum leak somewhere (I can't find it!) that causes the fresh air door not to seal all the way, letting in cool air. Also, I had another '68 with AC with the same problem, and the fix was the same as yours. I have not had the water leaking problem.

·
Registered
669 Posts
It could still be the cowl. Pour some water into the cowl and see if it leaks.

·
Registered
568 Posts
This may or may not be your problem but it had me stumped for a little while. I had hot air (being in AZ) coming in the driver's side at a surprising rate. It was really surprising when I found how small the hole was that was letting all the air in. It turned out it was a firewall grommet that was deteriorated but it didn't look so bad from the outside. It seems like it was the one for the accelerator linkage. Replacing it made a huge difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts